2007 Sport Trac XLT V6

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Costin

Reaction score
Everyone,

I am entertaining the thought of selling my ST. Mainly for towing reasons...I currently have a popup, but my wife is really wanting to start looking at Campers, so if we go that route I would want something a little bigger for towing. So, I thought I would just see if there is any interest out there from anyone looking for a ST.

I will add some pictures if there is any interest, but here is what my Trac has:

1. soft cover in the back (Ford OEM that I added)

2. bed extension (Ford OEM that I purchase afterwards as well)

3. It came with Camel cloth seats that I still have, however, I had custom Camel colored leather seats installed about 6 weeks ago!

4. I had new BF Goodrich Long Trails put on 2 months ago, just before Thanksgiving.

5. The color is Mineral Gray

6. It has 41,000 miles on it currently. Not that it matters, but I know people always like to say it is highway miles. But, in my case I live in Greenville, SC and my family is in Indiana and my wifes is or was (have recently moved) in Delaware. We made quite a few trips over the last couple of years.

7. Step rails

8. Type II hitch

The vehicle is in great shape and clean. It had a very small scratch on the passenger door, but repaired with OEM paint. One tail light has a small crack, which I found right after I bought it, but couldn't prove it came that way. The crack isn't noticeable unless you look for it, I found it when I was washing it. Otherwise it is clean and like new and smells like new after I had the new seats put it in recently. I am a non-smoker. I tend to baby things. My last vehicle was a 1994 Ranger that I babied and gave to my dad when I bought the ST, my dad is still driving it with 230,000 miles on it! I would be asking in the neighborhood of $17,900 for it.

Again, just looking for some feedback right now.

Thanks,

wc

Last edited by a moderator:
How big of a camper are you looking to tow? We started with a popup, then traded up to a 23' hybrid. It weighed in at under 5,000 lbs, even loaded. My Trac towed it very well. Here's a picture of my Trac and former hybrid trailer. We traded it a few years back for a Class C motorhome. Also a link to the web page for our brand of hybrid trailer.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
We are looking at Hybrid trailers similar to the one in the picture. The ones we are looking at are around 3,000 dry weight or 4,000 loaded. I know the Trac is rated for 5,000, but I will have to have the type II hitch cut out and a type III hitch welded in its place.

How did your Trac do pulling it? What about hilly areas? I am all for keeping the Trac, just afraid it would be pushed to hard? Any advice on your experiences would be extremely helpful in my decision to keep it!!!!! Thanks!

I didn't know that you had a Class II hitch. You're right, that is a huge obstacle to towing a bigger trailer. Given that, it may be worth your time, trouble and money to go ahead and sell the Trac and get something bigger. Or maybe just another Gen 2 Trac with a V8 and Class III hitch.

When I retired from the Navy in 2006, I pulled our hybrid from VA to IL. It did fine through the mountains and across the country. I just kept the O/D off most of the time, and took my time.

Whatever you end up with, I'd recommend a weight-distribution hitch with anti-sway bars for the trailer.

Here's what I used:

[Broken External Image]:

We own a Starcraft 215SB Hybrid, we pulled it w our 04 St v6,,,,did an OK job as long as u avoid the steeper grades. I was MUCH happier w the 07 ST V8,,,pulled like a champ,no troubles there! I would recommend trying it w your existing truck for a season,,,if you feel the need to upgrade,you can always do it down the road. Good luck

steve:smile0006: