2007 Trac and no LSD.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RichardL,

Did you see my last question? The one that I was asking? The earlier ones were used to lead into an answer I posted. In the end I asked for comments about my thoughts.

For example:

Question:

Could the reason Ford not offering a LSD on the new Trac have anything to do with the Stability control system the Trac is supposed to have? How about a traction control system?

Answer:

many of those systems rely on the brakes to adjust torque to wheels to prevent rollovers and assist traction.

Question:

Would a LSD interfere with the operation of those systems?

Answer:

Using logic, I think that is the reason why there is no LSD offered.

Final question:

Your thoughts?

Note, there was no answer posted.

You stated:

Actually, I had intended to answer the question for anyone else who may not know why the brakes would be involved with a traction control or stability system, Or even a low-tire detection system.

Why did you direct your answer towards me?

Tom

In the first post of the thread you asked for our thoughts. Shouldn't we address our posts to you, based on your request for our thoughts? If not, then to whom? :huh:

Tom,

As Nelson stated, I was answering your first question regarding the Stability control and the LSD.

I also tried to explain to other who did not know a thing or two about cars, how the ABS system can be addapted to handle a multitude of controls like traction control, stability control and even detect a tire that is low on air pressure.

I suspect that Ford will use the ABS/Stability control as a traction control and eliminate the need for LSD.

Sorry if you took offense.

...Rich

I suspect that Ford will use the ABS/Stability control as a traction control and eliminate the need for LSD.

Another reason, IMO, Ford is ruining the Sport Trac. While, most of us are happy with our SUT, Ford is making it a SLUT.

Tom

Tom,

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that the new ST is somehow less capable. It has more cargo space, more horsepower, stronger frame, can haul more, tow more, and is light years ahead in handling, ... I'm not seeing that as a step backwards, nor am I seeing how that makes it a Light Utility vehicle compared to the older ST.

But hey, if you're happy with your ST in its present configuration, great.

I am not a doom and gloom, glass is half empty, kind of person. I believe, based on the facts at hand, that the new ST will ultimately be a better vehicle. Will it have growing pains? Likely so. But it has the foundation to do just about everything better than the current version. I like my '02 ST, and that makes me all the more optimistic that the '07 and beyond will be even that much better. :rolleyes:

But, back to the subject at hand... You haven't said, but what exactly is the Control Trac system not doing that the older ST does that is so critical to your judgement of the new ST or somehow making it so less capable?

What do I like better about the old Trac?

Well, lets see. I use my Trac as a truck, not an urban cruiser. An IRS just won't be able to take the punishment a solid axle does. Need proof? Look under every pick-up out there. Guess what...Solid rear axle.

Modification. Many people here like to lift and lower thier Trac's. With our Solid rear axle and torsion bars, lifting or lowering it costs litle to nothing to do and looks great. With a 4 wheel indepentant suspension, lifting or lowering it is going to cost money..lots of it.

A lift kit for an Explorer will cost in excess of $2,000.00 for the newer style Explorer compared with $60.00 to lift our Tracs.

I am going to work now. I will continue this later.

Tom

Continued...

Ease of maintenance. Removing a shock on the current Trac takes minimal tools and many times you don't need a jack. With the new setup, removing the shocks also require you to place vehicle then remove the springs along with the shocks. That makes repairs on the new Trac cost more.

CV Joints. The problem isn't as bad now as it used to be, but they still have problems. CV boots crack. Dirt and water get into the CV joints and cause the joint to fail. Replaceing them isn't easy or cheap.

Off road capibilities. Some of the best off road vehicles have front and rear solid axles. Mostly Jeeps have solid axles. An IFS is pushing the limits of offroad performance, but the trade offs sometimes are worth it.

Changing differential fliud can be harder on vehicles with IRS because the differential is mounted to the frame, so space can be an issue.

Ford did imporove the new Trac in many ways. A V8 is awesome. Many of us would love to have a V8. It did not make sense to offer a 302 in the Trac when the 4.0L has about the same power output as the V8 did, but the 4.6L is much more powerful making it a wise decision of Ford to make it an option.

Personally, I think Ford is missing the mark. They are making the new Trac too upscale and are going to loose alot of customers. Hopefully more will buy the Trac to make up for the customers that look elsewhere.

Tom