2007 v8 fuel economy

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Mould

Reaction score
Now that people are getting some miles on their trucks, how about a quick report on the fuel economy of the new V8?

Towing my 27ft, 4000lb travel trailer on I81 through New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia (lots of hills) at an average of 65mph, I could only manage 9.5-10.5 mpg.

Last tank - 383 miles, 21.4 gallons to fill = 17.9 mpg combined driving. 20mpg is possible on the highway in this truck, but you must stay at 65mph or less, and avoid all sudden acceleration. Truck is heavy, takes some gas to get it rolling and brakes to get it stopped. I find the truck will coast forever, have to change my driving style to let off the gas 1/4 mile or more before stop signs and stop lights and just coast in. Used to downshifting to slow down with manual transmission.

Sorry to hear about the shop time, Clarence. I've got a little over 1800 miles on the truck and am getting combined city/hwy driving, about 14 mpg. That being said, I agree with dmould that if you gear your R and L feet to the vehicle, you could get more mpg just by letting that heavy b@#stard coast!:D

I should also add that when I pulled my trailor up into the Sierra, my mpg went down considerabley,, maybe to 12, while in the hills pulling, but I still didn't even know that it was behind me and pulled great.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,more $0.02 worth, Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is reading on average 15.3-16.5,,,,,,,,,but I calculate it on gallons burned compared to amount when I fill it,,,,,,,,,,,it is increasing with every fill-up.

Cubber, a naive question on my part, but how do you calculate "gallons burned" if not takign into acount amount put in during fill-up?...is there a guage in the 07 for that?

dmould,

I regularly get 20-21 MPG driving at a constant 70-75 MPH. On my trip to Lousville, KY from Waco, TX I averaged 20.7 and 21.3 on the drive up. I filled up about 60 miles south of Louisville and the rest of that gas was used around town. I got nearly identical mileage on the trip back.

I think your main problems is driving in the Northeast where traffic is especially heavy. When the road are conjested you constantly have to slow down and speed up and that can kill your mileage, even on an Interstate or freeway.

Several other here have reported mileage in excess of 20-21 MPG. Of towing and city driving will really kill your milage.

My V8 gets about 13.1-13.8 doing 90+% in-city driving. When I'm on the highway it moves up toward 18MPG but usually I have to reset the meter when i start on the highway to see that result since I rarely drive more than 150 miles in one day. Last time I drove 100 miles-ish on the highway in one day my average had climbed from 13.3 to the mid-15s and was still going up.

Now that I have said all of this - I just had studded tires put on my car last week and am hauling around two of my factory tires on the factory rims as weight in the back of my ST and now my average is 12.9. We'll see if it balances out over the coming days.

I picked up my '07 on June 13 and have been driving back and forth from Cleveland to South Bend nearly every weekend. I usually run the entire trip at 75 MPH. My mileage has been in the 20-21 MPG range time after time....NEVER has it been under 20 MPG.

My best average on 87 octane fuel was 22MPG. I was on 2 lane roads in a very flat part of Eastern NC moving with traffic at 65MPH. There was definately a draft so I had less wind resistance.

I tuned my V8 to 93 octane with the Xcal2 and run it all the time. My trips back and forth to work, 9 miles in 25 minutes, as well as some combined over the highway travel (maybe 1/4 tank) results in 17-18MPG. I'm very pleased. I found that my mileage was better with 93 octane because I'm not in the pedal as much to accelerate.

Good responses, and I do believe the claims of 20+ mpg. Don't often get the chance to do just highway driving. Just a note - my truck is a 4x4. My last tank was 16.8mpg combined, more city driving this time. Sometimes need to hear that v8 at 6000rpm! I find that the computer is accurate in fuel used and MPG. 3800+ miles on my ST, only issue is a slightly spongy brake pedal, dealer said it was OK.

Would like to try a programmer, if for nothing else than to eliminate the speed limiter at 100mph. The truck is quick enough that you can hit the limiter when you pull out to pass 3-4 cars. I wonder what the true top speed is?

I had mine up to 110mph after Xcal2 removed the governor. Plenty of pedal left! But, it felt like it was floating a bit. A lot of air gets under the ST.

Latest posts