2008 4x4 limited 4.0 drive shaft replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Hi st people...I have a 08 limited 4x4 4.0 engine. The carrier bearing is completely gone. My mechanic was in the process of rebuilding it but found that the bearing can not be replaced. I have to buy the whole shaft with the carrier bearing already in place. Not cheap. I just don't understand why Ford would do things like this! Just don't make sense to me. Kinda like the really great idea one of the engineers came up with to not have a transmission dip stick. That's ridiculous. I just had my transmission rebuilt. I ended up spending $2500 . My guy did all the updates and it seems to be very solid now. Have any of you guys had this drive shaft issue? Thanks

The trans guy didn't tell you about the carrier bearing when he had it out of the truck doing the trans?

The trans guy didn't tell you about the carrier bearing when he had it out of the truck doing the trans?
My mechanic took the transmission out and I took the transmission to have it rebuilt...my mechanic tried to change the carrier bearing but the drive shaft doesn't come apart. He finally read where some are not able to be rebuilt. Whole drive shaft has to be replaced. Another one of Ford's ... better ideas. Kinda like the idea one of the engineers had for not having a dipstick to check the transmission fluid... damn idiots 🤬

Just had the carrier bearing changed out in my wife's 2008 4.0 2WD Limited. The part # is: 7A2Z4A499A MY cost was $153.00.

$160.00 labor

Just had the carrier bearing changed out in my wife's 2008 4.0 2WD Limited. The part # is: 7A2Z4A499A MY cost was $153.00.

$160.00 labor
I've been told mine is not one you can replace...mine is 4x4... maybe there's a difference there...

I also have a 2008 Adrenalin AWD. That bearing can NOT be replaced. It requires the whole driveshaft to be replaced.

I am wondering if the AWD has a "core charge" on it???

I also have a 2008 Adrenalin AWD. That bearing can NOT be replaced. It requires the whole driveshaft to be replaced.

I am wondering if the AWD has a "core charge" on it???
Haven't seen anything about a core charge...I don't think it would be.

Yep, But rock auto s like 400 and there is a drive shaft place that's 800 and comes with a serviceable bearing.

Latest posts