2008+ STA owners...How does it handle in the Snow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kaufman

Reaction score
As the title says...For those who have the new STA with the Allwheel drive...How does it handle in the snow...for example anyone in the East Coast of the US, with that recent snow store we had, How did it handle in the bad weather?

I had no issues with my 2010 STA, even with the 20" rims and stock Scorpion tires.

I am in VA near DC so we had A LOT of snow.

:smile0006:

Last edited by a moderator:
My 08 feels like it's on rails 90% of the time. It doesn't seem to bite very well when braking though.

I've driven mine in some 36" plus snow storms from upstate, NY to Lowville,NY (snow belt) and it handled extremely well. In fact, I could say that this has been the best 4x4/AWD I've ever owned thus far.

I have a very steep driveway and I can stop at the bottom and put it in 4WD, if it isn't already, then it just climbs right up like it's dry pavement! The only thing you have to watch is hitting the throttle when turning, the ST will torq wide through the corner. I never owned a 4WD before so I had an enlightening experience with that when i first got it in a foot of snow. Great winter vehicle IMO!

'07 ST:smile0006:

I have the 08 STA and here near Philly we got 12+ inches this past weekend. It handled great. The awd prevents me from doing doughnuts in the mall parking lots :( :smile0001:

I grew up in Buffalo so I have driven in a few snow storms.

Don't let the snow deter you from getting the STA.

No fears about getting stranded, but like '07 ST posted you do need to watch the throttle. With the length and weight you tend to keep tracking (sliding) through a turn with heavy throttle. I am up in Massachusetts and we recently got 12-inches of snow. The Gen2 handles great on the snowy highways.

Now my Cherokee is another story, that vehicle in 4-High is part snow mobile.:smile0011:

09 STA, I recently put 18 inch steel rims and General Himalayan M+S tires on and the trac handles very well,,,,but like everyone else pointed out,,,,,,watch the throttle.

steve:smile0008:

I have the 08 STA and here near Philly we got 12+ inches this past weekend. It handled great. The awd prevents me from doing doughnuts in the mall parking lots :(

***Poster not responsible for any outcome of attempting the following maneuver and will probably work best with a rented vehicle***

:smile0012:

ScoTt - You will need

1- A large open snow covered parking lot (light posts and vehicles=bad endings)

2- Take off your traction control.

With a running start bring your Trac into a skid and as the AWD kicks in cut hard and punch it. It might take a few times but I liked it.

**Since the traction control is off the engaging of the AWD clutches might be a little more noisy than usual**

Last edited by a moderator: