2008 Used Adrenalin Good Idea?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Hale

Reaction score
So we were looking at a new 2010 but the deal didn't work out with the dealership between them not even coming close to what we needed on our trade, like, $4000 below even trade in values anywhere else I looked. I didn't want to deal with private sale and all that because we would be down a vehicle until everything else was finalized.

Sooo, looking at plan B, which was to find at least a used one since new ones are scarce. We happened by a dealership near us today and found a 2008 Red Adrenalin, V8, AWD, 44k miles.

Looked to have everything except heated seats and nav.

Kind of sucks because Nav is what I really wanted in my next vehicle, especially since I would probably lose Sync if I swapped out for an aftermarket. But the 2008 Sync is nothing compared to the 2010+, so I will probably end up swapping the radio for an aftermarket anyway. The heated seats also kinda sucks, but I will survive on that.

Anyway, I have heard several times on this site that the 2009-2010 ST's have a better feel to them as far as build quality, several different definitions on how they are improved, but it is enough to make me think hard about making a deal for this truck. I want one, bad, like I have talked about getting one for almost two years, and time is running out fast. This one supposedly has a warranty still, the dealer was closed so I am going by the internet info and what I saw on the sticker.

Is there any major risk or reasons I would be unhappy in the short or long term jumping on an 08' instead of waiting a 6-12 months and seeing if I find a used 09' or '10?

Thanks all! I don't expect anyone to have every answer given you don't know the mechanical history of the vehicle, so go ahead and assume as broad an opinion as you want.

Hi Derek:

I'll try to help or least give my .02 since I've sort of experienced what you're describing. BTW, Adrenalins are stunning trucks...like I needed to tell you that ;)

First off, I've owned a 2008 and 2010 ST! My '08 was a 4X4 XLT V6 bought with 5,000 miles. Traded it a few months ago on a 2010 4X4 V8 Limited loaded with everything but NAV. BTW, my V8 mileage is exactly 1 MPG less than the V6 with similar driving habits, so don't let that be a deterrent!

About SYNC and the NAV. In my 2008, I did NOT have SYNC but I did install a Ford OEM NAV unit from eBay. At the time, I had about $725 total in the NAV unit with me installing (easy). This past week, I finally installed an aftermarket (Pioneer AVIC Z-120BT NAV) in my 2010 Limited. My opinion? The aftermarket NAV is f-a-r beyond my old NON-SYNC nav in the '08 and probably equal or greater than ANY OEM SYNC nav in a 2010! This whole SYNC label is very over-rated IMHO. My aftermarket Pioneer basically does all of the things SYNC does via Bluetooth (hands-free calling, voice activated GPS guidance, source prompts for music etc, Sirius Radio, backup camera, DVD while in motion etc etc) not too mention much a better interface than the Ford! All this for about $1,100 if you install it yourself (I'll be glad to assist if you go this route!) Long story short, you CAN have your NAV regardless of which 2nd Gen ST you buy!

As far as buying a 2008 with 44,000? I personally would not do it, but then again I tend to have a phobia about mileage over 50,000 which is probably unfounded with modern cars/trucks. Any chance that the '08 is a Ford Certified Pre-Owned? My 2010 was technically 'used' when I bought it with only 121 miles, yet because it's Ford CPO I have a powertrain warranty to 100,000 miles.

'Feel' of the '08 vs. '09-'10s? That's a tough call? So many variables? Mileage of truck, it's care/maintenance and even equipment levels. It's ironic you bring this up since my 2010 DOES 'feel' quieter and more solid than my 2008 ever did, even though I thought the '08 XLT was fine before comparison. I cannot really pinpoint why my '10 feels better? Perhaps the tires or just the perception of being so much more luxurious with leather interior, sunroof etc etc. Needless to say, that '08 Adrenalin probably has basically the same interior equipment as even the most loaded 2010s!

I've rambled, but hope something might help? Obviously we all usually make decisions based on budget and value, so that's a BIG factor too.

Please let us know what you choose?

Take Care, B3

PS: I did a search at Cars.com and it really seems that 2010 ST prices have dropped a little since I bought mine in July. Ex: There are several low-mileage '10 Adrenalin's around $30K...back when I bought mine in July, I didn't see ANY for less than $35K asking price, just food for thought

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the time you took in responding and it helps a lot. The truck says Warranty, and since its at 44k I am still not sure how it has a warranty, if its due to certified pre-owned or what, will find out tomorrow.

Good to know about the nav, I figure that way I can also get a reverse camera installed since I park in a parking garage which has low walls and I dont want to damage anything.

I guess I will get more info tomorrow, the truck may not even still be available who knows. I searched on cars.com but didn't find anything else within 250 miles that matched it. I am a little concerned about it the more I look, the price they are asking is $5k less than a far less equipped 2008 with a 4.0L and manual HVAC...

There are also 8 reports on the VIN, but I don't want to pay $30 for a CarFax right now. Should find out more tomorrow I guess.!

Also check out autotrader.com. There you can put in your vehicle info and get offers from local dealers. I got $200 less than what I was offered online, without buying anything. But you also need to consider if the purchase price will be reduced on your new one for a trade-in. Some states only tax on the difference. And lastly, I have a Pioneer Avic D3 nav unit for sale in the swap section that I took out of my 2007. Has everything, just plug & play basically.

See if you have any of those car buying companies there.... I sold 3 vehicles to them.....

The dealers wanted to give me 6K for my 2004 adren, I Got 10,500 from the buying service... Probably get 11K,500 if I tried private...

Just a thought...

As for the 2 vehicles, I LOVE my 2010....

Todd Z

Thanks all,

I found out the truck is available, it was a Lease to a friend of the owner of the dealership who bought it out and then recently traded it in. The bumper to bumper warranty is gone, but it still has its powertrain warranty and I can get an extended warranty still.

I am going to test drive it today at 2:00 so will know more then!

I loved my 08. I had Sync. My 2010 is better. It feels more responsive, more powerful and handles better than my 08 did.

Really can't go wrong either way. Has to be a pre owned out there with everything you want.

SEE if a Xplan will help.... We can get you those !!

Todd Z

My '08 has 42k on it and it's like new. Of course I'm anal about maintenance, but something only two or three years old, it's pretty hard to screw it up. Gen 2's even have an oil change light.

My 2010 drives and feels so much better than my 2007. Whatever Ford did, they continued making improvements along the way. I love my 2010! :banana:

Well thanks again all, we test drove it and I may pass on it. The exterior is perfect, and the engine sounds good to me, no hesitation or transmission issues from how it feels.

The problem to me was the interior. I don't know if it came that way, or if it was because I guess the manager had borrowed it for two weeks as his personal driver, and it was gross in there. Between the buttons for the Reset/Info/Setup was what looked a hell of a lot like hardened coke/pepsi/whatever. It smelled like smoke, and recent smoke, and it had a lot of scratches and that around the cup holders I have not seen before. The buttons on the steering wheel felt almost like they were loose/coming out and when I pushed the Sync button it sounded and felt like plastic popping back in place.

The salesman said he would get it professionally detailed for me, and even said he would get me a new Key and Key FOB because they looked disgusting.

All in all, it was a nice truck, but it seemed a lot, A LOT, slower than the 2010 I drove just a couple weeks before. That truck just seemed to jump into it when you punched the throttle, this one had some build up to it and the acceleration was not nearly as good... at least by feel alone, which isn't an exact science I know.

By the end, it was my wife for once trying to convince me it may be a good truck since the price was still very good, and I am the one that has been dying to get one. So we took that as a sign that this may not make me as happy in the end.

They found a brand new 2010 with everything, Nav, Sunroof, all the stuff this one was missing, that was not even delivered yet but they think they can get it. That was awesome to hear, but I am getting screwed on our Fusion we want to trade in. Owe about 22.5k and they are offering 17.5k. So my benefits from A-Plan are eaten up as are any rebates I get like Ford Loyalty program.

Looking at about $700 a month for 72 months if I get 1.9% after Taxes and everything due largely to the $5k taken over from the Fusion.

So I may see what CarMax offers us, if I get that new payment down to the 600-650 range I think I am in. Otherwise, may just have to bite the bullet and get either an F-150 or a Fusion Sport, or see if I can find a 2009/2010 ST Adrenalin in the near future. Probably going to be a tough find.

Anyway, thanks again all, just doesn't look to be in the cards. When I next do buy a car I plan to not make some of the mistakes we made with this Fusion. Live and learn!

Just because you owe more than your fusion is worth, doesn't mean you are getting screwed. Between a or x plan and rebates.... You should be able to wash the fusion. Look at the entire deal. Not just the trade number. They can only give you ACV on a a-x plan deal as there is nothing for profit margin left.

If it's 1000 bucks for every 20 a month.....your at 700 now....that is a lot of money. That's like 2500 to 3 grand away. Unrealistic expectations IMO.

Have you tried negotiating down the dealer fees like the doc or gap fees?

Hi Derek:

Sorry to hear about the interior of the 2008 Adrenalin - you don't paint a pretty picture! I often guage the 'hidden' maintenance of a vehicle by its interior conditon. I'd be very skeptical of a car this new with an interior the way you describe?

I just traded my '08 XLT 4X4 in July with 38,000 miles and the interior was perfect! No stains anywhere (and I had the super light tan cloth), no odors, the leather steering wheel still had the new 'dull' shine - all just to prove that at 42,000 miles these trucks should NOT look this way!

Any chance you can pay a reputable used car dealer with a wholesaler's license to take you to an auto auction? Might be a way to get a nice used 09/10 for much, much less than used retail? Have you tried to sell your Fusion privately? Maybe you could easily get $20K rather than the $17.5K offered? There is often a way to work this out without adding all of your negative equity into a new loan which in essence comes back to haunt you several years from now when trading again. The way I always see it "Pay now or Pay Later", that's why I am so damn stubborn in trying to reach my expectations when trading/buying a car!

Regards, B3

Interesting issue. FYI only. I just bought a used 08 Silver Burch Adrenalin with 15650 on the odo. I had a 2002 XLS. Of all places, I found it "googling" at a local Chevy dealership. I had been looking for a Adrenalin for a long time. As luck would have it, it was a one owner and that guy worked at the Chevy dealership. I tell you what, this guy was absolutely anal about this baby. It was spotless. I sat with him for about a 1/2 hour. He said it had never been smoked in, drank in, or eaten in. The back seat had never been sat on. He sat with me in front of a computer in the dealership and brought up all the service records. Son, it is like brand new. He had tinted the front driver/passngr doors to factory match the rear doors. The price was within my budget and voila it is sitting pretty in my drive. Can't tell you a thing about performance comparison to a '10 but it's sure as heck a big improvement over the good ole '02. I understand the trade in dilemma. I opted out to sell my '02 outright rather than take a bath on trade. I put it on Craigslist and sold it for 8500 to the first guy who walked up the drive. It was in really good shape. It had 89K on the clock. The best the dealership would do was about 5K on trade. I could go on and on, but I feel really lucky in getting the AD in such fantastic condition with low miles. As to warranty, I went ahead and bought the extended warranty package which gives me up to 65K miles of coverage. Ah what the heck it's just money. I'm a day away from 69 y/old and I'm reliving my youth. I would attach some pics but I'm new to this site and can't figure out how you do that.

Well, a few months ago I sold my 08 XLT V6 with 48k miles on it and I guarantee you it was the cleanest, neatest, and well maintained used vehicle you will ever see! I bought an 08 Adrenalin V8 with under 48k on it and it didn't bother me at all. You can look at my library at pics of both of them. Don't let 40k to 50k miles on an 08 deter you. You can just about tell how it's been maintained by the condition of the exterior & interior.