2011 Explorer Won't Replace Edge.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryW Gilliland

Reaction score
2011 Ford Explorer Won't Replace Ford Edge

By Marty Padgett August 17th, 2009

There's a 2011 Ford Explorer in the pipeline for America's largest independent automaker. Does that mean the Ford Edge is edging toward history?

Not according to Ford. A spokesman confirms to TheCarConnection that the 2011 Ford Explorer due next year will be joined by a revamped Ford Edge not too long after the first car-based Explorer begins to roll off assembly lines.

Ford will have a foursome of car-based crossovers at that point, and it's necessary. The compact Escape is a class smaller than the Edge and the new Explorer--and the buyer profiles that the Explorer and the Edge bring to Ford showrooms are quite different.

Though the next Explorer will be based on a car architecture--the same underpinnings as the new Ford Taurus seem a likely donor--it will have the image and the equipment to give it a more rugged profile and performance envelope than the softer Edge, Ford explains. It's also likely to sport seven-passenger seating, like the larger Flex crossover, while the Edge seats five.

As for mechanicals, Ford says only that the new Explorer will get some of its powertrain direction from the Explorer America concept displayed at the 2008 Detroit auto show. That concept used a turbocharged 2.0-liter in-line four with a stated 275 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque, as much as a typical SUV V-6. The upscale engine, Ford suggested in 2008, would be a 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 with 340 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque.

Styling could differ from the concept more widely than the powertrains, but the new Explorer will use other mileage-minded technologies such as electric power steering to save more fuel--30 percent more than today's Explorer, Ford said in 2008.

Today's truck-based Explorer goes out of production in 2010 in Louisville, Kentucky; it will shift production to an undisclosed location, possibly alongside the Edge in Oakville, Ontario. That leaves the Kentucky plant open to build some of Ford's new small cars hitting the U.S. in waves over the next two years, a move confirmed by the car company.

As for the Ford Edge, a possible refresh for the 2012 model year could be in the works. The 2009 Edge rates 8.2 out of 10 here at TheCarConnection.com, thanks to comfortable seats and ride quality, a perky powertrain, and tech features like SYNC voice controls. A mild styling refresh is expected, without major mechanical changes.

2008 Ford Explorer America ConceptEnlarge Photo There's a 2011 Ford Explorer in the pipeline for America's largest independent automaker. Does that mean the Ford Edge is edging toward history? Not according to Ford. A spokesman confirms to TheCarConnection that the 2011 Ford Explorer due next year will be joined by a revamped Ford Edge not too long after the first car-based Explorer begins to roll off assembly lines. Ford will have a foursome of car-based crossovers at that point, and it's necessary. The compact Escape is a class smaller than the Edge and the new Explorer--and the buyer profiles that the Explorer and the Edge bring to Ford showrooms are quite different. Though the next Explorer will be based on a car architecture--the same underpinnings as the new Ford Taurus seem a likely donor--it will have the image and the equipment to give it a more rugged profile and performance envelope than the softer Edge, Ford explains. It's also likely to sport seven-passenger seating, like the larger Flex crossover, while the Edge seats five. As for mechanicals, Ford says only that the new Explorer will get some of its powertrain direction from the Explorer America concept displayed at the 2008 Detroit auto show. That concept used a turbocharged 2.0-liter in-line four with a stated 275 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque, as much as a typical SUV V-6. The upscale engine, Ford suggested in 2008, would be a 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 with 340 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. Styling could differ from the concept more widely than the powertrains, but the new Explorer will use other mileage-minded technologies such as electric power steering to save more fuel--30 percent more than today's Explorer, Ford said in 2008. Today's truck-based Explorer goes out of production in 2010 in Louisville, Kentucky; it will shift production to an undisclosed location, possibly alongside the Edge in Oakville, Ontario. That leaves the Kentucky plant open to build some of Ford's new small cars hitting the U.S. in waves over the next two years, a move confirmed by the car company. As for the Ford Edge, a possible refresh for the 2012 model year could be in the works. The 2009 Edge rates 8.2 out of 10 here at TheCarConnection.com, thanks to comfortable seats and ride quality, a perky powertrain, and tech features like SYNC voice controls. A mild styling refresh is expected, without major mechanical changes.

Dont know about the rest of you, but anyone else think that 4 car based Fwd crossovers a bit much of a portfolio of vehicles close in class? I think it may be a mistake to not have a Performance / Towing based crossover vehicle with a RWD powertrain

Ever look closely at Toyota's SUV offerings? Landcruiser, 4Runner, Highlander, Rav4, FJ Cruiser, Sequia, Maybe something else I'm forgetting to....

Yes but is the FJ Cruiser and or sequioa not RWD. Maybe I am just mad but I hate FWD vehicles. I love to punch it around the corner and hit the gas and ride out(Especially in rain/snow) :D. Maybe everyone will just buy the AWD versions of the 2011 Explorer.

I believe the FJ Cruiser is defiantly RWD or available as 4x4 and all 4x4 models come with an electric locking rear diff. (dont know about the Sequioa) I also believe the FJ Cruiser is body on frame and not car based... I only know this because the FJ cruiser is probably the only toyota I like.

I know the differences between them I'm just pointing out how many "SUV like" offereings the #1 Japanese automaker has.

:huh: I wonder if another Sport trac will come from this platform, I mean it would be a big mistake to let Honda have the market to themselves. It's a unibody truck right :huh:

lol Ugly doesn't describe it , the past and prestent trac look MUCH better than the Ridgeline , I know the first generation was a little rougher around the edges but I stil love my 02 trac , when we met she had 14 miles on her and now a hair over 90,000. :wub: I hope to get another one day but mine is just getting broke in (lol):D

looks aren't everything

No, they aren't (most times). The Ford truth video revealed some things about the Ridgeline that are rather heinous, like standard FWD and the donut (ewww) spare being under all your stuff in the bed.

Somehow that just doesn't seem too intelligent.

Those who continue to strip RWD out of the vast majority of cars as well as the handbrake should be rode out of town on a rail. RWD FTW.

looks aren't everything

your right looks are not everything but when i go to buy a vehicle looks are what brought me to it in the first place. If i were to take a honda ridgeline and a sport trac side by side assuming i had never seen them before and they had the badges removed could you say the you would pick the ridgeline over the trac? :rolleyes:

Latest posts