2WD to 4WD conversion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken p 2

Reaction score
i was just wondering the feasibility of converting an 03 ST from 2WD to 4WD. how much would it cost? would it be worth the money and effort? i was thinking maybe i could raid a salvage yard and pull the drive train from a wrecked ST4x4 and swap it out with mine. i just bought a ST and im loving it, for 11k, it was immaculate inside and out, with very low miles and runs awesome. it was also CPO and is a dream to drive compared to my old SUV. the only problem was that its not a 4X4, which i was thinking about changing, but just wanted to get some feedback and perspective since ive never had to do it before. i have a buddy who is my mechanic so i wouldnt be doing the actual conversion myself in my garage but at an actual auto garage., but i was just wondering if this is done often with ST's and what is the success rate on this.

thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
It is more work than it is worth.

If you really want a 4x4, buy one. It is not as easy as just swapping the parts. The transmission is different for the mounting of the transfer case. Then you got to change out your front hubs to 4x4 ones.

In my opinion, it is just wot worth it.

If you are one that likes a challenge and can have your vehicle down for a while, then go for it. If you are like the most of us with one vehicle (I have numerous modes of transportation, but my Trac is my primary), you just can't afford to have a vehicle down for a couple of weeks, or months to get the bugs worked out of it.

Tom

yup, i agree. just wondering in case i ever came across the opportunity to buy a wrecked 4X4 ST or ranger that i could use as a donor vehicle, because i have a buddy who owns his own shop who would love to do the conversion for the right price and knowing that i do have other vehicles to drive if my ST went down. i just got a ST, and im loving it, just wish it was a 4x4. everything else about was a steal of a deal for the price i got it in my opinion. thanks for your thoughts.

You're better off locking the rear. That'll make a 2wd nearly as capable as a 4wd in most instances. Unless you're a serious trail rider or rock crawler, that'll be sufficient. Not to mention it's much cheaper and a whole lot easier.

As mentioned above, too much for the effort.

Besides the normal thought of parts, you will need electronics, wiring, relays, modules, dash switches and wire harnesses...

The easiest way (and it's not easy) is to put in a solid front axle and a manual t-case but then you'd have cobbled up a perfectly good Trac.

Whatchya mean Johnny?

That sounds more to me like taking a perfectly boring Sport Trac and making it perfectly good.

Get a locker for the rear, I have a 2wd and have no issues going anywhere I want to go. I got stuck once, deep in the woods during spring. I was in mud up to my axles, not many 4x4s would have gotten out of that either.

Hugh said:
Whatchya mean Johnny?

That sounds more to me like taking a perfectly boring Sport Trac and making it perfectly good.

I mean good luck trying to sell it later. If you have a 2wd Trac and want a 4wd Trac, sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd. With modern vehicles, it's not like getting some parts from a junkyard and slapping 4wd on a '78 Chevy pickup in a day and half.

The current 4wd isn't even good enough for my liking. I will be putting a solid axle up front.

Then again, I'm not going to be trying to sell it, either.

I agree with you, though. It wouldn't be a good idea to try to make a 2wd into a 4wd.

Again, LOCKERS!

I did the conversion on my 04 2 winters ago, took my time sourcing parts and waiting for good deals

My biggest cost was 1200 for a used transmission installed (part and labor)

I originally picked up a used 4wd trans that was in poor shape, and I took the output shaft and housing and installed it on my stock 2wd tranny, but afterwords the intermediate speed sensor wasn't reading properly (poor install on my part), so I just paid a shop to install a used tranny instead (was tired of it by then).

Total parts:

front hubs---Picked up 2 used for $50, had to replace one last year for about 150 new

front spindles---40 bucks for the pair

front rotors---free from a buddy, New from ford

front cv axles---used, 40 for the pair, replaced one for 70

front differential---used, shipped for 175

front driveshaft---free off another project, paid 60 to shorten it, another 80 for new ujoints install

rear driveshaft---parts trade with a friend, got a used flange to fit the axle for 25, paid around 90 for new ujoints installed

transfer case----free off another project

transmission---first one was 100, second was installed for 1200

I spread the part collection over 1.5 years so it didn't hit the pocket too hard, and I did all the original work myself. I went with a manual transfer case so it saved on headache as well. There was some extra loose odds and ends, but it didn't add up to much.

Scottg

I did the conversion on my 04 2 winters ago, took my time sourcing parts and waiting for good deals

My biggest cost was 1200 for a used transmission installed (part and labor)

I originally picked up a used 4wd trans that was in poor shape, and I took the output shaft and housing and installed it on my stock 2wd tranny, but afterwords the intermediate speed sensor wasn't reading properly (poor install on my part), so I just paid a shop to install a used tranny instead (was tired of it by then).

Total parts:

front hubs---Picked up 2 used for $50, had to replace one last year for about 150 new

front spindles---40 bucks for the pair

front rotors---free from a buddy, New from ford

front cv axles---used, 40 for the pair, replaced one for 70

front differential---used, shipped for 175

front driveshaft---free off another project, paid 60 to shorten it, another 80 for new ujoints install

rear driveshaft---parts trade with a friend, got a used flange to fit the axle for 25, paid around 90 for new ujoints installed

transfer case----free off another project

transmission---first one was 100, second was installed for 1200

I spread the part collection over 1.5 years so it didn't hit the pocket too hard, and I did all the original work myself. I went with a manual transfer case so it saved on headache as well. There was some extra loose odds and ends, but it didn't add up to much.

Scottg
Hello!!!! Well, just had this same thought but I have an '07. Guess it is doable. I have other means of transportation so it won't be rushed to get into duty. Overland camping trails in Fl with my 2 sons. I will have to pick your brain soon!!!!! I need a new transmission regardless because the one there now is shot and the 4.0L I have to change the timing chain guides. Or I can just swap in the 5.3 LS I have laying around with a 700r4 or 4l60 4wd and call it a day. KISS is the best approach but I would love to be in touch with you since you have done this already..... Thanks and hope to hear from you!!!!!

Hello!!!! Well, just had this same thought but I have an '07. Guess it is doable. I have other means of transportation so it won't be rushed to get into duty. Overland camping trails in Fl with my 2 sons. I will have to pick your brain soon!!!!! I need a new transmission regardless because the one there now is shot and the 4.0L I have to change the timing chain guides. Or I can just swap in the 5.3 LS I have laying around with a 700r4 or 4l60 4wd and call it a day. KISS is the best approach but I would love to be in touch with you since you have done this already..... Thanks and hope to hear from you!!!!!

Your just better off buying a different truck....

Also better off not digging up a 10+yr old thread 😮😮

Latest posts