3.73 or 4.10, limited slip or not

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith 2

Reaction score
I bought my '02 ST used without even knowing there were different drivetrain options, or what they were for. How can I tell what gearing my ST has, and could someone educate me on what effect exactly the choice of gear ratio has on things like fuel economy, or towing capability?

And what about limited-slip differential... is that only desirable for off-roading, or does it have benefits for things like snow driving also? And again, how can I tell if I've got it or not? Thanks!

The axle codes found on door sticker:

46 — 3.73 non-limited slip

42 — 4.10 non-limited slip

D4 — 3.73 limited slip

D2 — 4.10 limited slip

From the following post:

A limited-slip is always good. The numbers will be on a tag attached to a diff cover bolt, will have the letters "LS" if it is a limited-slip. An easy way if it has the stock size tires (check the door sticker) is if it has 235/75-15 or 235/70-16 tires it will have 3.73 gears and if it has 255/70-16 tires it will have 4.10 gears.

A L/S is better for snow in my opinion also because you get power to both wheels, but you do have to be careful with the gas pedal when BOTH wheels are on snow or ice because the rear can swing out. With an open rearend, pretty much the right rear wheel gets most of the power. It will spin but the left rear will help the vehicle track straight (if it's making forward progress at all :lol:). Me, I'd rather power go to both wheels* and just drive it right.

*Yes, I know it really takes a locker to get power to both wheels but I'm keeping it simple here.

*Yes, I know it really takes a locker to get power to both wheels but I'm keeping it simple here

UMMM ????? no locker here.... ;):lol::lol:

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

You've got a good and tight limited-slip then. :lol: The Ranger I had before had damn near a locker in it, it would chirp the inside tire turning corners in town.

Difference is, off road if you get one tire in the air, a L/S might get you out and then again it might not.

Latest posts