36 or 37" tires? claws,xterrains or pitbull?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
Most of the driving is on road. Sometimes snowy or wet some ice. I have a sport trac that has the 3" body lift, TT and re-arched rear springs and now the 3.5" spindle lift. There is a lot of room even with the 35" tires which now measure around 34 or so. I'm looking at 36x13.5 or 37x13.5. I figure any wider would be a problem? I'm looking for a cool looking tire with a good looking sidewall. My st is a 2wd so the tires are only for looks :) so I'm not worried about the best rock crawler or anything. As a matter of fact I can buy a brand new set of 35x13.5-15 Goodrich Krawlers for 270 each which is a heck of a deal but I am guessing they would be bad on the highway & not last long:angry:

I like the Baja Claw Radials but I dont know anything about them.

I like the Pro Comp Xterrains but I read a bad review on them.

I like the Pitbull Growler but I dont know if it's radial.

Any help would be great:D

vanilla, I saw the 37" pitbulls today and you probobly wont want them. The guys at the shop were trying to sell them to me, but they are SUPER soft tires.... if your not going off road I wouldnt recommend them. I know a couple people that have the pro comps, and the baja claws, and both are good tires. The MT baja's are the better of the two though IMHO.

Nate (Nasty nate)who works at 4wheelparts.com says the xterrains will be buy three get one free next month. fyi.... Raserx

Depends where you're going with them. In 4WOR magazine, the X-Terrains finished dead last in mud. Decent in sand and rocks. I'd go with the Claws but I've heard they wear out fast on the road.

You should consider some remington mud brutes. They last forever 50,000 miles plus if rotated regularly. They would probably run 150 a tire, also one of the best prices, and not to aggresive since you are just looking for the look. Also the highway noise is minimal. I am in Louisiana I know they have them everywhere, but some northern states the are hard to find or maybe never heard of them. If you have questions just email me.

I just got the Xterrains a few weeks ago, and so far Im very pleased with them, allthough I havent done any offroading with them yet. I also got them during the buy 3 get 1 free deal back in March. Mine are 285-75-16, roughly 33's...

think I narrowed it down to Goodyear MTR in 37x12.5 or Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip in 37x12.5 or 36x14.5. The PJ in 12.5 shows it measures 13.5 wide. I'm kind of scared the MTRs might look too narrow?

Yes, RaserX, you are correct. 4 Wheel Parts is having a buy 3 get 1 free on Procomp tires next month - just something to think about.

Nate

I would advise against going with a tire of that size, you make have the lift to clear them, but think about your ford 8.8" axle at the rear of the truck, the axle is not designed to be used with such large tires, not to mention the over-abuse on the front ball joints, wheel bearings. Another weak link would be the tranny. Just wanted to put in my .02 cents, not trying to bash on your plans.

Branden

Latest posts