4.0 SOHC Rebuild?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Bailey

Reaction score
Has anybody ever rebuilt a 4.0 SOHC engine before or had to time the cams and chains? How labor intensive is it? I understand it takes some very specialized tools. Just wondering what a dealer would charge in hours to do something like that. Thanks gents.

Member l1tech writes in previous post:

"The tensioners are known to fail and that is an easy fix but the real problems start when a guide breaks. Don't stress over it, nothing you can do is going to make a difference of wether it happens or not. Easy enough job to replace everything especially if you are a mechanic but the engine does have to come out and you do need the timing tools....NO WAY AROUND IT. I used to do one of these every few months it seemed like but the last one was probably about a year ago on a ST that had blown head gaskets that I picked up for a good price and flipped for a nice profit."

If engine has to come out that's way more than I'd want to tackle.

Man! 19 hours? That's what it takes to flip the long block. Guess its because you're pulling and reinstalling the engine to do the job. I'm not the level of mechanic that could tackle that job nor do I have the specialized tools to do it. Looks like the miss in the engine is the coil anyway I hope. Will know when the coil I got off of eBay (brand new Motorcraft in the box for $50) gets here and I install it. Thanks guys for your input. :haveabeer:

Coil got rid of most of the miss if not all of it. I STILL am hearing that clattering noise. Not as bad but still. I know its not inherent to the 4.0 because the one I had 265,000 miles on didn't do it as far as I can recall. Does anybody else hear a clattering noise like loose rocker arms in your engine after you've been driving it and then put it in park?

Latest posts