4.6 V8 AWD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Knippen

Reaction score
Friends Im considering Trading up from my 01 ST to a 2010 limited AWD.

Id like feed back on the 4.6 V8 and the 4X4 AWD aspect.

How do yall like the V8 ? MPG ?

How does the 4X4 perform any issues or tips ?

Thanks,

Pete, Jax, Fl

Well, first off, I love my 2010 Limited!! I am getting around 21 MPG highway with cruise set, plenty of smooth power throughout the band, quiet...I had test driven a V6 2010 before, and found it much louder on acceleration, as well as relatively anemic compared to the V8. And I've found on other heavy vehicles, having the larger engine means longer engine life overall, since it tends to work more comfortably with the weight. As far as the 4x4 aspect, I have not had the opportunity to test it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came back to the top of my comment to start off with, "yes, I love this truck." Here's a full review of my likes and dislikes. Hope it helps.

I can't compare to the V6 because this is the first ST I've owned. Mine is a 4WD, not AWD, with the ability to lock in 4WD (for off-road or snow). The 4WD is not suitable for dry pavement. It's an auto 4WD, kicking in when it detects wheel spin, and you can't turn that off.

When I found this truck, I was excited because I previously owned an 2004 Mercury Mountaineer with the 4.6L (it was AWD), and quite frankly, it ran like a scalded dog. I've also owned 1996 and 2003 Mustangs with this engine, and the Mountaineer felt like a mustang engine in a heavier truck. My ST does not. It's most likely a throttle control issue. When you "get on it," the power comes in a rushing wave at higher RPM, almost like a turbo engine where higher RPM causes higher compression and power is non-linear.

That being said, it's a truck - not a Mustang. I just wish for more power off the bottom. As for towing, it'll pull more than it'll stop. I plan to add bigger brakes. (I've had plans for upgrades for a year since I bought it, but I've had other projects get in the way first. My wife thinks I have too many toys.)

For gas mileage, I usually get about 17 mpg combined, and I posted my record for an all-highway trip on here a while ago. I don't remember exactly, but it was around 21 mpg.

For 4WD, it's very capable. I haven't dogged it, and it does have low-profile tires with more of a highway tread, but the 4WD is priceless on boat ramps and pulling a trailer on wet grass. I will probably never go off-roading just for the hell of it, but when I've needed 4WD, it's been great.

The ride on the highway is great, lots of passing power, pretty quiet, and comfortable. The A/C is fantastic and had no problem with high 90's in temp and humidity here in central SC. The navigation is terrific, the SYNC works great with my Samsung GS4, and the SIRUIS has a feature that lets you put in a couple dozen favorite artists and songs and then notifies you when they're about to play on a different channel. It also has a SIRIUS Traffic/Link feature that includes weather info and radar, sports scores, and local movie listings. I consider this feature more novelty than useful, but that's mostly due to smartphone ubiquity. The stereo sounds great, there's bottle holders in the door pockets, there's no cubby hole for loose change, the seats are very good, the floor is hoseable (all rubber), there's a 12v charger, a USB connection, and a 3mm aux input inside the console, and there's a CD holder inside the console that holds a .380 perfectly.

The bed-liner has three built in storage compartments with rubber gaskets (that claim to "not" be waterproof, but mine have been so far), there's plenty of tie-downs, moldings for using 2x4s to create compartments or a flat surface on top of the wheel wells, and a 12v power supply in the bed. Mine came with a Class III/IV hitch with the seven-blade and the 4-pin connectors. The truck comes with trailer sway control which can be turned off. Thankfully, never had to see if it worked.

I had a mysterious, intermittent transmission fluid leak that finally went away for good. It would drip a few drops over a few days, and then disappear for a month. Other than that, I have had exactly zero "problems" with the truck. Oil changes are easy, and the rest of the fluids in the driveline are zero-maintenance until 150K miles (that's been debated on this forum a lot though). I have 76K miles on mine and there isn't even a rattle. It sounds as tight as a new truck.

Plus, it looks great and I get compliments on it all the time (when it's clean anyways).

That's about it, if you have any specific questions, fire away. I like talking about this truck.

I have had an '03 Adrenalin, an '07 Limited V8, and now a '10 Limited V8, all with 4WD. The '10 is by far the BEST trac of all of them! It has a smooth, sure-footed ride, quiet interior, lots of power, very comfortable seats. and I LOVE the charcoal black interior!

Ford did not sit on their butts after the upgrade/redesign in '07. My '10 Trac is much improved over the '07 Trac. The improvements are subtile, but throughout the vehicle. Fit and finish are much better, and I don't have any squeaks or rattles.

Outstanding Feedback ! I've decided to take the Leap into the 2010.

My father-in-law who originally made fun of my '01 NOW He wants the S.Trac after learning I'm upgrading. He had the joy of driving it from Mont. Ala, to Kentucky and was converted.

Love the idea that a .38 will fit perfectly in the console. LOL

With claims of 21 mpg i'm reassured and I will attempt it. THANKs for the 4X4 feedback, I miss driving the beaches around NE FLA. that where my '84 Bronco II 4x4 did so well.

appreciate it yall

pete

I have owned both, an '05 and now my '08. Can't add much to what ncstatewolfpacker said. Ride and handling on a Gen 2 is so much better that it isn't funny. Gen 2 is a little longer and most of the room seems to be in the rear seat. There is no AWD as such, Gen 2's are not in 4WD all the time, but the 4-Auto button is 2WD until the computer detects slippage and then the front end kicks in. Or you can lock it in 4-Hi or 4-Low (except Adrenaline models). Downside, there was no limited-slip axle available on a Gen 2 because they have traction control. Mine is a V6, mpg is about the same on a V8 because they have 3.55 gears and a six speed auto where the V6 has 3.73 gears and a five speed auto. Unless you tow or otherwise need more power I would take a V6 because you don't have the problems with $park plug$ and cracked exhau$t manifold$ that are associated with the V8.

@ JohnnyO correct is saying AWD is rear drive, unless slip is detected. Mine is a CPO Limited that came with a 100,000 Bumper to Bumper. I added the "ALL inclusive" B2B For that reason of the Rear spark plugs, I dont want to deal with that issue. Somethings I leave to the Ford Service to do.

But overall every thing I heard and read the 4.6 is a great engine.