4.o blowing transmission fluid out onto exhaust and smoking but only when pulling my small enclosed trailer 10 foot long. I have no problem pulling iI

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 78427

Reaction score
My 4.o 4x4 limited blows transmission fluid out onto my exhaust and smoking out the rear... But only when I'm pulling my small light weight 10 foot enclosed trailer. I don't have any problem pulling the trailer in overdrive at all. It doesn't shift back and forth. If it starts to shift some I pull with the overdrive off. At 70 mph it's only turning around 2200 rpm . I was told that if I pulled in overdrive the transmission would probably heat up and cause the fluid to come out of the transmission vent... Anyone else had this?

Year +Model +Engin +Trans +...?
Assuming V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin & 5r55e Trans, full service is needed every 33kMiles\4Years:
~ PanDrop & Fluid Drain & ValveBodyBolt ReTorq
~ New Filter & PanGasket & MerconV 5~7qts
~ Band Adjust
Inspect TransCooler Tubing+Hoses+Clamps; notorious for leaks.
Personal preference is to also handpump 3/4qt ATF from Trans DipTube
& 1/4qt from SteeringReservoir & refresh with 1qt new MerconV,
every 4kMiles\6mths along with routine Engin Oil+Filter service.

Year +Model +Engin +Trans +...?
Assuming V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin & 5r55e Trans, full service is needed every 33kMiles\4Years:
~ PanDrop & Fluid Drain & ValveBodyBolt ReTorq
~ New Filter & PanGasket & MerconV 5~7qts
~ Band Adjust
Inspect TransCooler Tubing+Hoses+Clamps; notorious for leaks.
Personal preference is to also handpump 3/4qt ATF from Trans DipTube
& 1/4qt from SteeringReservoir & refresh with 1qt new MerconV,
every 4kMiles\6mths along with routine Engin Oil+Filter service.
Thanks for the reply but... The damn thing doesn't have a dip stick... One of Ford's better ideas...

So a later model trans.
Noting year model engin trans...
In your profile and threads saves everybody time...

My 2008 4.o 4x4 limited blows transmission fluid out onto my exhaust and smoking out the rear... But only when I'm pulling my small light weight 10 foot enclosed trailer. I don't have any problem pulling the trailer in overdrive at all. It doesn't shift back and forth. If it starts to shift some I pull with the overdrive off. At 70 mph it's only turning around 2200 rpm . I was told that if I pulled in overdrive the transmission would probably heat up and cause the fluid to come out of the transmission vent... Anyone else had this?

Latest posts