4 wheel drive problems?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Parker

Reaction score
Hey,

I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem or has an idea what the problem might be:

I'm having difficulty with my 4 wheel drive on my 2001 Sport Trac. This has been a recurring problem where its hit-or-miss whether my 4 wheel drive will Engage or not. For example yesterday there was snow on the ground and I wanted to flip into 4 weel drive. So I stopped at an intersection and flipped the switch to enter 4 Wheeldrive High. then nothing: no indicator, and no indication that it even slipped into 4 wheel drive. I tried everything I knew: I put it into nuetral and tried flipping it, I put it into reverse and backed up trying to get it to engage and AGAIN nothing. Well I managed to get home and when I started it up to go into work this morning I checked on the 4WD again and this time it engaged no problem. This has happened before but I don't have any clue what's going on. anybody have any ideas?

This is part of the exact problem I was having two weeks ago. It lasted a few months where the 4x4 would work only part of the time. Sometimes the indicator would change, sometimes not. Sometimes there would be a click, sometimes not. I have since had the 'shifter fork' replaced by Ford under a TSB. I will have to post the TSB# later tonight when I get home.

i have had the same problem. it has been getting clold and when i switch to 4 wheel high or low and no light change. i have also have not been hearing the relays working. once the cab of the ST warms up, and i turn off the truck and then trunit on or start it, the relays work and will go in to 4x4 high and will work untill aslong as the cab stays worm. after it cools down the 4x4 system will not work; it could be in 4x4 high and will not indacate 4x4 high i have to warm the cab back up and trun off the truck and then back on and then it will work.

i heard of a module that will cause the systen not to work. on this site

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2034/act/usedcarreviewreliability/

Generic electronic module could "lock-up," so various functions (front wipers, interior lights, 4x4 system, etc.) could not be turned on or off.