4 Wheel Drive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Shaffer

Reaction score
I was driving home today, and it was a little snowy. I put my ST in 4 wheel high (for the first time this year), and was traveling around 35-40 mph. After a while I started realizing there was a thump coming from under the truck about every 100-200yards. After shifting back to 2 wheel drive it stopped. It is a 2001 ST with about 150,000 miles on it, and still going strong. Any ideas?

:smile0010:

Maybe the 4wd was not locked in properly...

Try it again....

ALSO turn the truck into 4wd 1-2 times a MONTH !!! On a straight rainy road, this keeps the parts lubricated and moving properly..

Todd Z

yup, +1 on Todd's recommendation. I make a trip out to undeveloped suburbs a couple times a month in the spring/summer/fall to keep the 4x4 working correctly. I just drive around on the dirt roads in 4 high - I don't do anything stupid/fun though. I don't have enough money to be replacing parts. lol

Sometimes it takes a bit to lock in. I've had to un-engage 4x4 and re-engage once or twice.

Gavin, Mainly it is for inside the transfer case. My electric motor on the xfr case froze due to non use for an extended time. I ended up replacing it.

In that case, there would be no need to drive in 4x4. You could just flip in in and out of 4WD while sitting in your driveway and accomplish the same thing.

Gavin,

Not necessarly....

If the gears are not meshed your not guarantying it went in....

The vehicle moving is the best way....

Todd Z

I lock it in 4wd once a month all year long going up the hill to my house, even in dry weather. The street is perfectly straight, no harm done. One in a great while I'll do the same in 4-Lo.