4 Wheel Low

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Bentley

Reaction score
Here's a dumb question. I've never had a 4 x 4 before but I just got a 2005 Sport trac 4 x 4. When I put it in neutral and then click the knob to 4 x 4 low, then go back in drive and start to move, the 4 x 4 low light is supposed to come on right? Mine just says 4 x 4. I'm wanting to make sure the 4 x 4 low works ok. The 4 x 4 high works fine. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Mark

The neutral and foot on brake method is what the manual states must be done to be able to get into and I believe out of Low.

Also,,, I STRONGLY recommend that you go into high and low at lest once a month even in the summer time as the engaging motors seize up if you don't use them.

Just don;t do any sharp turns and what not unless you are in sand or dirt (meaning in the summer time).

I'll try it again tonite since it's at home and I'm at work in my commuter. Thanks for the replys and info. I'll let you know what happens.

Mark

Right, trans in Neutral, fully stopped, foot on brake, is the only way to engage 4-Low, same to shift out of 4-Low. My Gen 2 works the same way.

Whether OD is on or off doesn't matter.

I agree with shifting into it once a month or so, 4-Hi as well, to exercise the shift motor. I will do that at the end of my street and drive down to my house. It is perfectly straight so doing it on dry pavement is okay.

Also don't forget that the transfer case has fluid in it that must be changed. The manual says to do it every 60k miles but it will look like tar by 30k. It just takes regular Mercon ATF.