4 x 4 conversion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured that. didn't know if anyone had made the switch.

Any input on what size BFG mud tires it would handle without a lift kit?

265/70/16 with no rubbing, you'll need to ziptie the inner fenders back against the frame in front and rear. your speedo will be off by a couple mph's because of the taller tire and the 2wd gears.

I run 265/70-16 tires on my 4x2 Trac.

The gearing of the 4x2 and 4x4 is identical. On the 1st gen Sport Tracs, there were 2 gear sets available. The lower model had a 3.73:1 ratio while the upper moels came with a 4.10:1, regardless of 4x2 or 4x4.

I have not had to do any type of modification to the inner fenders, though I am running 1 1/4" wheel spacers on the rear axle.

The 265 tire does look a little larger. The difference between the 255/70-16 tires and the 265/70-16 on the speedometer is next to nothing. The overall rolling diameter distance is only 1.8%, so when traveling at 60 MPH, you are actually going 61.1 MPH.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you Tom but I thought most 2wd's came with 235/70/16's, which meant the 3.73:1 gears. That's what I've been told by many members.

I have a 4.10:1 LSD on my ST. I got the step bars and to get the step bars, you had no choice but to get the 4.10:1.

It is possible that those that would buy a 4x2 Trac are skimping on the upper models, but the gearing was simply chosen on the package you got. If you got the premium model, you got the 4.10:1 ratio rear end.

Tom

The Premium Package included 255/70-16 tires. With those tires you got 4.10 gears regardless of 2wd or 4wd.

Re: OP, it is possible to convert a 2wd Trac to a 4wd but not really worth the time, effort, and expense. If you REALLY want to do it, it would be cheapest and easiest to do a solid axle swap.

If you want to make it look like factory, there is no easy way.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the "old days" converting to 4WD really wasn't a big deal.

With the later model vehicles this is MUCH more to do as compared to say 15 or 20 yrs ago.

Besides all of the large metal parts, (axles, tranny, transfer case ect ect ecy), you will need modules, wiring, switches and sensors. You will also need either a different dash or console depending on where and how the switch is mounted as well as the indicator lights.

Officially, the ECM/PCM is different in many cases as well...

Carl,

Check the swap & Sell.. There is a guy there selling a lifted 01 4X4 with almost everything replaced for $4500. Would cost you that to change over to the oem style 4WD probably.

Latest posts