4WD Module at salvage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd I 4

Reaction score

I'm going to try to use a replacement 4WD module (electronic relay module which controls the 4WD motor) from a salvage yard, for my 2001 Sport Trac.

But, I don't know how precise I need to be in matching a part.

Are these modules the same in all ST's, or do I need to stick to certain years?

Will 4WD modules from Explorers or Rangers work too?

I just looked at the module, and the part number on mine is different than I have seen mentioned in another thread here.

My 4x4CM is: 1L54-7H417-AC

On a 2003 Sport Trac part listing, I found what appears to be the same module, but with the part number: 2C54-7H417-AE

Would the '03 part work on my '01 Sport Trac?

I checked at fastpartsnetwork.com (site sponsor) and Torrie informed me

that the part number I'm looking for is:

1L5Z 7E453-AC

He had is for $110, so I ordered it there.

Hey Todd,

Were you having trouble engaging your FWD? The reason I ask is because mine (2001) will only work after disconnecting the battery and then connecting it back. This is very temporary. Works maybe twice. Did the module fix your problem? I asked one of the experts on this site and they thought this was possibly my ST problem.

Thanks.

Billy - just so you know FWD means Front Wheel Drive, 4WD is 4 wheel drive.

Yes, I am having problems switching into 4x4 mode.

I have not received the part yet, so I haven't tested it.

I am not sure that the module is the (only) problem. Last winter, my 4x4 worked, but would sometimes not work right away, it would sometimes take a minute or so before it actually engaged.

I'm hoping that is still a module issue, but it seems like it could also point to a failing 4x4 switch motor.

If you hear the module click when you turn the switch, look to the motor as the problem. If you don't hear a click, and/or don't have a dash indication, it's more than likely the module/relay.

I got the 4x4CM in the mail today, and quickly slapped it in.

I turned the switch to 4WD High, heard a small click, and it's in 4WD.

That's a relief. Those snowy roads are not fun with only the rear wheels working. Well, except for doing donuts.

Latest posts