4wd module...earlier post

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tod Gregory 2

Reaction score
I read a post late last week concerning the 4wd module. I need help! I had my Sport Trac into the Dealer for another problem ( turn signal would not work ) and asked them to check out why my 4wd does not always work. They came back saying that I needed the module.

Cost $180 plus labor. I thought OK I can replace it and save money now that the problem was diagnosed.

Well...I call Autozone and others. They say you have to buy it from the Dealer. Is this true?

I also called a salvage yard. They have one for $50 no gaurantees. Worth it?

I thought I knew where the module is located, but based on the earlier posts I am now unsure. I had been hearing a clicking noise ( when trying to use 4x4 ) along the passenger side wall under the glove box. I pulled away the trim molding and felt a ~ 3" x 3" box. It was clicking. What is this? I thought it was the module? I need help!

Thanks

The post was mine, as I have had problems with the 4wd engaging. Yes, it's true, the G.E.M. (General Electronics Module) is expensive and only available from your Ford dealer. And yes, this module most likely controls both the turn signals & the 4wd.

The clicking noise should be coming from behind the radio bezel. I was told the 4wd module was located there. I ordered a Shift Control Module last week. Wrong part. I just returned from my Ford dealer with the correct part. The module # is: 1L5Z*13C788*AA

The good news is that it's a piece of cake to replace! NOTE: Do not drop it!!! To replace it, you'll need a 7mm nutdriver or wrench to remove the radio bezel and the nut that holds the module in place. After removing the radio bezel with the stereo head unit, you will see a black box to the left side, attached to the side of the instrument cluster. Remove & replace. I'm on my way outside to replace mine now, I'll let you know if that solves the problem! I'll take pics to write up a project on it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...that's great information! This is such a great site for information.

I'll be interested in how your replacement works out. Keep me (us) posted.

Any idea what the box is on the passenger side? I'll have to get the numbers off of it.

My truck was made for Canada...no chance the module would have been moved is there?

Thanks again!

I stand corrected... The 4wd module IS located behind the passenger side kick panel. Nice work Tod! We know more than Ford mechanics!!! I too traced the 'clicking' sound to that location, and there lies the 4wd module!!! (And the Ford mechanics said it was behind the dash...)

So, back to Ford to exchange modules yet again... Which is O.K. as the 4wd module is cheaper than the G.E.M.

The part # for THAT module is: 1L5Z*7E453*AC

That's funny!

I checked my part number. It's different.

I have : 1L54-7H417-AC also Motorola model # 01MP207C01

We'll get this thing straight before long. I am glad of the location. Makes it pretty easy.

Tod,

Sometimes the numbers are different, but they come up with the same part... ??? Must be a Ford thing...

And yes, it's a piece of cake! Still a 7mm nut on there. In fact, there's 2 of 'em!

And wouldn't ya know it, now the 4wd module's working... EVERY TIME! It must know it's days are numbered...

Krash,

Glad to hear it is working....EVERY TIME.

How much did the module end up costing? $180?

Thanks for the help. I guess I know what I'll be doing before Turkey Day.

Tod,

Yeah, the old module will work until I REALLY need the 4x4, then it'll quit! lol

Now that I know that I don't have to tear into the dash to fix it, I'm going to wait until it decides to not work before I replace it.

I paid considerably less than $180, but that's what it lists for...

(I have a very good relationship with my Ford parts guys.)

Krash, Murphy's Laws of Combat apply "when you need it, it won't work" i.e. when you need artillery support your radio will fail

well our interiors were made by Mattel, our tranny's by the lowest bidder, and all 100,000 mile parts will burn down in 50,000 miles.