4wd motor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Mason

Reaction score
Hey I think it's time for me to swap out the 4wd engagement motor on my 2002 transfer case. Any tips, pictures, special instructions on this or is it an easy remove-reinstall?

Tim,

Make sure its not the module, 99.9% of the failures here are the module and NOT the motor..

Todd Z

I've had intermittant engagement issues for the past two winters. Lots of clicking in the pass footwell area, bt usually after 4-6 attempts, 4wd H will engage and the light will come on. This past weekend, it made some interesting new noises. Same clicking, but then a relitively hi-speed grinding type noise...then CLUNK, engagement. I was travelling about 30mph at the time.

Is the module easy to replace? I assume the engagement motor is quite expensive, and more difficult?

thanks

One of my past Rangers had similar issues. In one case it would not engage 4x4 at the transfer case. All I did was remove the solenoid motor, clean it and reassemble. It was still working fine when I traded it 30 some thousand miles later. The brushes were a bit of a challenge to get back in place but I was able to do it. Another problem I had on that truck was the auto locking hubs. It got to the point where the pass side hub would no longer engage. Prior to that it made some nasty noises everytime I tried to engage 4x4. I finally gave up and swapped the auto hubs for Warn manual locking hubs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts