4wd problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uwe Canting

Reaction score
2003 ST having problems engaging 4wd. Was working fine 3 months ago. Today with snow on the ground, tried to run in 4wd high and nothing. Just heard a clicking sound from the passengers side foot area. Any help is appreciated.

I have no experience with 4wd, but how many miles and have you kept up with service on transfer case and differentials?

I'd suspect an electrical issue then, or servo at transfer case that engages/disengages the forward diff. It could be something as simple as a broken wire. A Haynes shop manual may be of help. Check your fuses first. Quick internet search shows others pointing to "4wd control module."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes the activation motor on the transfer case 'freezes up' a little. GENTLY tapping it with a hammer can sometimes get it unstuck...

Are you getting any lights on the dash saying it's engaged? If you are getting that, and you are hearing the module in the passenger side kick plate area, then check the motor. As mentioned, it might just be a corroded connection, but the motor 'freeze' is a known issue.

I have that problem after months of not using it. Here's what I do. Put your truck into Neutral and shift it into 4wd LOW. It takes about 2-3 seconds but you should hear a solid "clunk" when it goes in. Cycle it in & out a couple of times, remember, it seems to take a little time to shift. After several cycles in & out it seems to free up the 4wd HIGH setting.

Thanks to all the responses. Tim, I tried your method and it worked. I was not getting the dash light to come on, only the clicking on the passengers side. This is a great site. Again, thanks to all.

Hi i just joined this site i love the sport trac just got a 2003 xlt in October last year, cant get enough of it, anyway i would like to know if this is normal, when i shift into 4wd and lock the wheel sharp to the left or right and try to move off i get a grabbing noise like its holding back. Can someone tell me whats wrong.

Peter: You need to be on a slippery surface before engaging the 4wd. Otherwise, it will bind just as you have described.

Navyman, many folks find it helpful to "exercise" the 4WD system" once or twice a month on a gravel road. even if you cannot find a gravel road to drive on, it helps to put it in and out of 4WD and 4L several times. Just make the selector motor work a bit on the transfer case to keep it all lubricated and knock of the spiderwebs and dust. 4-5 times should be enough. If you activate it contiuously for several minutes, you might overheat the motor.

Ok guys so here it is, tried it and it was sweeet, i can't believe how this truck holds the road i had fun in all the snow here in Toronto this weekend and Chris you were right worked perfect no binding or skidding love it thanks guys.:haveabeer:

Latest posts