4WD Trac sucks in snow!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
I got stuck a second time in snow last night. In my driveway on flat ground, my '10 Limited 4X4 V-8 would not move. These OEM Michelin Cross-Terrains SUCK in snow. Mine have at least 3/4 of their tread remaining after just 19,000 miles, but I couldn't get traction to move.

Adding to the misery of the tires, the damn traction control won't really let a tire spin enough to dig down to the pavement. With TC "on" in 4Hi, I can litterally hold the accelerator to the floor and the engine RPM doesn't get over 1500, and the wheels take turns spinning just a bit.

Disabling the traction control didn't do much to help. Even 4LOW was no good to get me out.

To make matters worse, Wife's Honda Pilot with 70,000 miles on the OEM Michelin XLTs (well worn) crawled in and out of the driveway several times with ease, but the Trac won't do it.

Is there something wrong with my truck? I have no error lights, and I can tell that the front axle is spinning in 4WD, but it sure won't go.

I need two sets of new tires for my vehicles, and I am broke. :cry:

I have had several 4WD vehicles before, including my '03 Adrenalin and my '07 Limited Trac, but none have sucked so bad in snow as the '10. Never have I gotten stuck on a flat driveway.

sounds like something wrong with your spot trac. I have 2wd and no problems driving around (16 inches of snow) in texas panhandle.

I've had no problems with my '10 Limited 4x4 V6 in the snow with Michelin LTX M/S2's. However, they are not the OEM tires. Drop it into 4Hi and roll! :driving:

Im sure you know this, but ControlTrac uses each brake to kind of act like limited slip or locking diff's, when the ABS sensors detect spinning. But if all 4 tires don't have good traction it won't make much of a difference. Tires make a huge difference. I had the OEM pirelli's 255/50/20 on last winter and was very disappointed in my truck's performance, but that wasn't suprising because they were nearly bald when I bought the truck. But for this winter I have a set of Firestone Winterforce tires, and am amazed at the difference it made. the braking and traction is night and day. Last week I even helped pulling a car out of a ditch, with all 4 tires on snow. And my 'AWD' adrenalin is just the same as your auto 4wd in High range btw. Check out some snow tires, or some tire shops can Sipe your current tires if there is good tread still, that is the biggest difference that i can see with my winter tires, lots of sipes...

i was just mentioning that my 02 & 04 were awesome in the snow and i never had a problem here in the northeast.

my 07 was not as good but only because of the perf tires i had on it.

maybe the gen1 tracs are better in the snow?

My 02 is much better in the deep snow than my 08 LTD.

Good snow tires make a difference but I believe the 02 design just works better in deep snow.

08 seems to high center or hang up much sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, heres a question for you. How do you turn the traction control off? I have a 2010 adrenalin and i am so impressed with it in the snow in new hampshire. I run 235 65 18s in the winter and pull a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer with no problems at all. I would definatly look at some snow tires. I have the good year ultra ice and snow and love them.

You disable the traction control by pushing the big button in the middle under the radio.

I am definately thinking some new tires will help. I saw some Nittos the other day that looked kind of nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding tires - I've only had my '02 for 2 months, but I'm seriously considering replacing the Firestone Destination LEs that are on it. They are fine in deep, loose snow, but they have NO stopping grip on slick surfaces. And I ease up to stops when it's slick. Actually, I ease up to stops when it's dry, too.

I have Goodyear Wrangler SRAs on my '94 Explorer, and I'm very happy with the way they perform on all road conditions. I was skeptical when I bought them as they look like more of a street tread than an all-terrain tread.

my 03 killed it during the 30" of snow this past blizzard dumped on the Northeast a few weeks ago. I felt very safe in my trac. Gripped very well.

Jupton3 said:
Ok, heres a question for you. How do you turn the traction control off?

There should be a button in the middle of the dash below the radio that looks like a car with skid marks behind it. Push it and the same symbol should light up on the dash. If Adrenalins are the same in that regard as regular Tracs.

I've owned both. My old '05 Trac with a limited-slip rear went much better in snow than my '08 with traction control. If you turn the traction control off then you have two open diffs. That's better than the TC making the engine take a crap when all four wheels are in deep snow but two-wheel drive (1 front 1 rear) not as good as three-wheel drive (2 rear 1 front). There are basically two things you can do. 1) Better tires, I have Firestone Destination A/T's which are decent enough in snow. 2) Detroit True Trac rear diff, which I think they make for the Gen 2 rear. Also I read a while ago here that the 2004 (regular) Explorer offered a limited-slip rear with the IRS because traction control didn't come out until '05. If that is correct then you may be able to get a limited-slip from Ford.

My idea of electronic traction control is a switch that turns on lockers. :grin:

this is the very first post I have EVER seen saying the Trac sucks in the snow... mine has pushed through 3 foot of snow and drove me over 50 mile through 2+ foot of snow with NO problem I was very impressed. these things don't even know its there. wish you luck with yours not sure what to say...

When my snow tires are new--orig owner 02 ST 4x4, 2nd set of Nokian Hakka SUV's on it-, I rarely need to put it into 4 wheel drive, the balance of the truck is so good. It's all about the tires. If your in the snow belt, get a better set of tires. If you are not interested in changing out two sets, or swapping tires per season, look to Nokian's All season line. No compromise in winter performance, but they do get noisy after a few seasons.

I'll stick with my tried and true BFG All-Terrain TAs. I'm on my second set. The first set went close to 65k miles. The only thing they don't do well in is gooey mud which is not something most Tracs are likely to encounter anyway. '07 4x4 LTD V-8.

JohnnyO, Thanks for the definition of it. I have never had an issue in the snow. Never had the need to look into options to make my trac go better in the snow. I have loved my trac in the snow actually! Never even looked up what that button did until now!Thanks, Jim

as far as tires I'd get Michelin LTX m/s . I have almost 100,000 miles on a set of those as we speak.....yeah i'm not kidding. And they are super sticky on ice and trudge right though ANY snow.

Makin Trax said:
this is the very first post I have EVER seen saying the Trac sucks in the snow... mine has pushed through 3 foot of snow and drove me over 50 mile through 2+ foot of snow with NO problem I was very impressed. these things don't even know its there. wish you luck with yours not sure what to say...

You have a Gen 1. The Gen 2's ('07-'10) are not nearly as good in deep snow because of the electronic traction control. Read my first post. I've owned both.