4x4 Again

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk10s

Reaction score
Getting super frustrated as it seems every time I need my 4x4 it is not working. Currently on my 3rd transfer case motor and 2nd control module (Motorcraft). 2002 Sport Trac, 225K. Any thoughts why this keeps going out? I do "exercise" the system periodically. When it was not working about 4 months ago, there was no click from the module when turning the 4x4 switch. I assumed module, but turned out to be motor. Are these transfer case motors suspect? I have used the "Dorman" and "Ultra-Power" from Rock Auto.

Getting super frustrated as it seems every time I need my 4x4 it is not working. Currently on my 3rd transfer case motor and 2nd control module (Motorcraft). 2002 Sport Trac, 225K. Any thoughts why this keeps going out? I do "exercise" the system periodically. When it was not working about 4 months ago, there was no click from the module when turning the 4x4 switch. I assumed module, but turned out to be motor. Are these transfer case motors suspect? I have used the "Dorman" and "Ultra-Power" from Rock Auto.
The 4x4ShiftMotor & the 4x4ControlModule are both NotoriousFailureItems
on this era Explorer\Ranger\Sport\SportTrac\...
Though does sound like you've had worse luck than usual.
For my 2001 SportTrac:
in 2015 replaced 4x4ControlModule with a FordMotorCraft#1L54-7h417-ae,
in 2019 replaced 4x4ShiftMotor with a CarDone#48-202.
It's worked reliably since; I try to remember to excercise the 4x4 once a month.
These should fit your 2002 also.
May want to manually rotate your TCase TriangleStem with ViceGrips
to check that it shifts relatively easily & is not straining the ShiftMotor.
Being in Wisconsin, do you see a lot of WinterRoadSalt?
If so consider providing some extra protection for the ShiftMotor & harness.
Click here for more info on this 4x4 TCase+ShiftMotor+ConMod.
2001.Ford_TrCs.Case_Borg.1354_000b.GIF
2001.Ford_TrCs.Case_Borg.1354_000c.GIF
2001.Ford_TrCs.Mdul_Ford.1L54-7h417-ab,ac,ad,ae.GIF

Last edited:
Just curious but are you scanning your truck with some sort of reader at all or just taking it to a shop and they are telling you what’s wrong?

On my 01, I’ve gone through 2 modules but all works fine still. I’ve grabbed a few extra modules from the Pick N Pull just in case.

Though I’d make sure to do a scan, let us know what codes it throws up, as something should obviously be faulting.

Update: I installed a new Dorman Transfer Case Motor this afternoon and now the 4x4 works great. Besides the original, this is the 3rd one I've put in. 2nd in the last 6 months! What could be going wrong with these units? I checked and cleaned all of the electrical connections before swapping out. I thought going with the new Dorman instead of a Reman or junk yard unit would be better.

Quick question: When you are replacing these Transfer Case Motors, do you apply any gasket material?
Not really needed, no fluid in that space to be contained. I just put a gob of axle grease on the TriangleStem.

Interesting. I contacted Dorman tech-support, to maybe get an idea of what is going wrong with these transfer case motors. They asked me for my build date. It is 5/02. He said that they do not offer a transfer case motor for that year of sport Trac. I have a round plug, so I have been buying the transfer case motor with the round plug. Am I missing something here?

Theres a lot of confusion regarding these parts amongst makers+vendors.

Latest posts