4x4 auto

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Baker

Reaction score
I have a 2009 st with 4x4 auto 4x4 high and 4x4 low in my old st i would use 4x4 high when driving through snow or mud but i have read up in the manual about 4x4 auto and it states that you dont really need to switch to 4x4 high it does it for you when it feels the truck slipping...

I am looking for a some info on how the system works am i always in a form of 4x4 is my fron drive shaft always spinning how does the system connect and disconnect...

I was also wondering if the system does determain that my rires are slipping and connects it into 4x4 is there a way do disable it so that I have control over it there are times that i want the truck to slip a bit... that sounds so wrong...

I guess i am just looking for some info of how it all works any web sites that explain it would be great...

thanks

It is a viscous clutch.......

Kind of like the clutch on a go kart....

when the rear drive shaft goes faster then the front it grabs the front to activate the front thus turning all the wheels....

If you put it in 4x4 high, it is locked in 4x4 with no slip...

IF you don't go off road or are not driving on ice there is no need for the 4x4 lock and the auto is just fine..

Todd Z

No viscous clutch in mine. Just a standard part-time 4x4 system that has an "auto" feature that the computer controls the 4x4 motor on the transfer case. The computer uses the data from the ABS wheel speed sensors to determine tire slippage to make decision about engaging 4wd. The "4x4 high" is just an electronic overrride of the computer control.

I had a vicious clutch in my old street rod! You had to be a gorilla to press the clutch pedal down and when it grabbed, it was all or nothing. There was no "feathering" that one, hoo-boy but a great ride!! BC :smile0007:

As mentioned, the computer detects rear wheel slippage and kicks in the front axle as needed. I find the lurching to be rather irritating, so when I'm on snow-covered roads (like today) I just lock it in 4-hi.