4x4 steering vibration / shutter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim H

Reaction score
With 9k miles on the odometer of my 2004 S/T 4x4 I noticed while parking or turning at very low speeds the steering wheel jerked or shuttered as if the power steering pump was failing. The first trip back to the Ford dealer, can you guess? No problem found. A little research on my part revealed a February 2004 TSB from Ford about the low speed steering shutter on 4x4 S/T’s. The second trip back to the dealer with the TSB in hand not only turned heads; I got my newly designed high displacement power steering pump, which solved the steering shutter problem. The TSB covers all 4x4 S/T’s. TSB 04-2-7

Hopefully this helps anyone who has experienced the same problem. :)

never mind.... googled it. But...can't seem to find the info on the net...all links are bad. Guess its off to ford !

I have the same problem. I had it 2 weeks after I had the truck and just lived with it. It has 8000 miles on it and the steering rack just blew out on the right side. The dealer replaced the rack on Fri. and the same low speed shutter is still there, if they can't fix it soon I might trade it in and get a Nissan 350Z.