4x4 Transmission Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Kelly 2

Reaction score
OK, I need some assistance with this problem so that I sound a little more knowledgable at the dealership today. Here is my transmission problem(s): My 2004 XLT will not engage in either 4-high or 4-low at all; regardless of what the indicator light on my dash tells me, the truck remains in 2-wheel. Sometimes the light won't even change. Also, sometimes you can hear the 'click' on both the inside of the truck and on the outside, and sometimes there is no 'click' at all. Is there any info that I should/shouldn't tell the dealer to make sure that this is all covered under warranty?

One of three things. It will either be the relay, the 4X4 module, (pass kick panel area) or the engaging motor itself. If you have not used the 4X4 lately it is probably a stuck engaging motor.

Try this..MAKE SURE THE TRAC IS IN PARK, turn the selector to 4X4 high. Crawl under the trak and tap on the engaging motor with a heavy hammer. You don't have to hit it too hard, just solid enough to jar the motor a bit. 9 times out of 10 it will allow the motor to engage.

If so, just keep turning the switch on and off and it will wear down the rust ring on the shaft that created the issue....

Once it is fixed. Engage the system every month, winter or summer or you will have the same issue next winter...

Hey Ryan, Another LI tracer here,

It should be covered by the dealer....

If not, We can hook up one weekend, ( I live in ronkonkoma) And I will gladly look at it if you like...

On a side note, We ( fellow Listers) get together once a month and go bowling in smithtown and we have a truck meet once a year also.. This friday is our next bowling night...

Email me if interested..

Todd Z

That sounds alot like the problem i had-sometimes a click, sometimes no click-it ended up being a wire burned out between the switch and the module... Took about 5 hours labor to finally trace it..Good luck

Andy

OK, so I just heard back from Ford regarding my 4x4 problem. It is the shifter fork in the transfer case. They said that it is a special order part and will be a few days before they can get it. In addition, the service rep said that this is a "common problem that Ford is aware of, but it is not quite a recall yet." Just thought I would share that info so it can help diagnose a similar problem. Thanks again for the help.

Not too common here at the site. If I am correct, the shifting fork is inside the transfer case and slips over a collar that slides when the engaging motor is applied. I have not heard of anyone having that issue yet?????

neither have I, I hope they are not misdiagnosing the problem and it is the shift motor.

One thought though, If the fork is redesigned because it binds up, people may be replacing the motors and it is the fork all along.. Maybe the new motor is stronger and can move the binding fork...

just an idea..

Todd Z