5W20 OIL???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Ellsworth

Reaction score
So... normally I change my own oil - this is the second time since I've owned the ST I had a Ford Dealership do it (I was in getting a spare key cut for the ST - so I figure might as well have them change the oil - save me the time - not to mention the freezing weather outside)... I picked her up and get home and I took a look at the repair slip and I noticed that they put 5W20 into her instead of 5W30 as I have been putting in (per the owner's manual)...

Is this going to hurt/effect the engine in anyway? If it's going to have a negative effect or hurt the engine I am going to call them tomorrow first thing....

Thoughts?

JE

It will not Hurt any thing, the 5w20 is a part synthetic oil. How is the weather there? over 40 degrees every day?? IF so, then I would make them change it, under 40 the 5w is the winter weight, so 5w20 and 5w30 are the same in colder weather..

Todd Z

I got the first 4 oil changes free. Last time I noticed the work order said 5w-20. However the 4.0 is one engine that Ford specifically DOES NOT recommend or back-recommend 5w-20 for. I didn't raise a stink, I went to Wal-Mart and got some M'craft 5w-30 for $8 and changed it myself figuring that the filter was free anyway. OTOH, just because the work order says 5w-20 doesn't necessarily mean that's what they put in. But next time I go back, I'll insist on 5w-30. Given that most Fords now take 5w-20, they probably pump that in from the bulk oil tank because that's the cheapest way to do it and give everybody the same friggen stuff.

The link I had saved is dead, but I found this one. I'm no fan of Amsoil but it looks like a copy of Ford's TSB.

Latest posts