5w20 vs 5w30 in a ford escape

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
We have a V6 24valve duretec, all aluminum motor, in our escape. Factory calls for 5w20. The Trac calls for 5w30. They both use the same oil filter. What would it hurt to use the 5w30 in the escape? I live in Houston area, warmer here. I use the motorcraft syn-blend.

Just like to keep one oil around. The 5w30 is usualy easier to find.

If it is a 2004 Escape, the 5w-20 was formulated for emission reasons. the 'Trac is excluded from that. most 2004 and later vehicles from Ford use 5w-20. It shouldn't hurt it, but that is why 5w-20 was recommended, if it still is under warrenty, then use the factory recommendation.

Have a good one

Bob

right from the escape manual..

To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an

equivalent 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A. SAE

5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability

performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine.

from what i've read its just a fuel milage thing..

troy

I use 5w-30 Mobil 1 in my '06 Escape, and checked my gas mileage before I switched and after and saw absolutely no difference in mpg. Still get low to mid 20's mpg.

The reason I use 5w-30 is because 5w-20 Mobil 1 is almost impossible to find. Most stores only carry a few quarts at a time, and the 3.0L V6 in the Escape calls for 6 qts of oil at a oil change.

I'd use the correct weight in Mobil 1. However, 10w30 would probably work just fine for you. Warranty won't matter--they will have to prove that you used "incorrect" motor oil.

I understand with the wanting to keep one oil around, but it really isn't that big of deal. I run 5w30 in the Trac and 10w30 in the Liberty. It really isn't much of a hassle, since neither one hardly ever need any topping off between oil changes (5,000 for the Trac and 8-10,000 for the Liberty (98% highway driving everyday). New Mobil 1 filters every change.

Now I know this probably has nothing to do with it but I put 5W20 in my wifes Mountaineer the last time I changed the oil. (It calls for 5W30) Her gas milage actually went up 2 mpg. This is after it was a steady on the dot 15mpg since we bought it in Aug. of last year.

Eddie, look in the owners manual. It will give a chart with oil viscocities that they recommend for the temps. outside. That may help you alittle on deciding. You may be able to match up oils due to your climate. (Either a lower viscocity for the trac, or a higher one for the Escape);)

In Mobil 1, the 5w-30 is on the thin side for a 30 weight anyway, so I'd use it in the Escape and not worry about it. My wife's Taurus calls for 5w-20 but so far Wal-Mart does not have M1 5w-20 in the cheaper 5 qt jugs, it's about $5.50 a qt. On the other hand, I got used oil analysis on her car comparing Mobil 1 and Motorcraft 5w-20 (for half the price) over 5000 miles and the results were nearly identical.

Ford switched all their gasoline vehicles from 5W30 to 5W20. There is really no problem with lubrication for either weight oil, however Ford wanted to increase their CAFE mileage, and the 5W20 gives a very slight improvment.

...Rich

RichardL said:
Ford switched all their gasoline vehicles from 5W30 to 5W20.

Not all of them. The 4.0 SOHC is one of the few engines they didn't. I used to have a link that showed all the 5w-20 recommended and back-recommended applications but I see it doesn't work now. That said, most 5w-30 dino oils swill shear down to a 20-weight in 2000 to 3000 miles anyway.

Latest posts