91 Explorer Pwr Windows? Possible Purchase

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Woodson

Reaction score
I need a cheap reliable car as mine has a blown head gasket and will be at least $2000 as long as it's only the head gasket, not a cracked head or block.

Anyway, I found a 91 Explorer 4.0L, 4dr, 2wd, 5spd with 66k miles on the odo. This was donated to a local church, supposedly a one family vehicle.

The interior seats and carpet look really clean, so the mileage seems possible, the engine is filthy though.

Body - basically no rust, few minor dings, headlights are yellowed, clearcoat is peeling and paint is faded on the roof, hood, etc.

I drove the vehicle for a quick trip. Seemed to shift well. Power seemed to be Ok, the guy was with me so I didn't run it to red line, but it seemed to lose power on the top end.

AC doesn't work

Power windows don't work, none of them, I tried the Dr rear door with that switch, hoping it was the main drivers door switch cluster that was bad, no luck. The guy that showed me the vehicle from the church said he took the door panels off and the motors are fine. He thought the tracks might be gummed up from sitting so long. I called my mechanic, he thought it might be something to do with an alarm or central system. I don't believe it has an alarm, and doesn't have an aftermarket alarm for sure.

The brakes felt Ok

The car pulled to the Right quite a bit if I let go of the steering wheel.

The shocks are shot as well. Overall it seemed decent.

They were asking $1850 but are negotiable. I thought about 1/2 of that would be about right. I'm wondering how much work and money the windows might be though.

I figure the shocks will be about $600 plus an alighment. I thought I might take it to a local shop for a quote on the alignment first before even making an offer.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Please feel free to eMail me too!

Don't forget to check the switch on the master cylinder, the one that causes all those fires. If it's red, it has to be changed. $600 for shocks is way too high, and it seems to have a lot of problems. Make a list and offer them $500.

Latest posts