99 Windstar code P1401 whats it mean?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Endrizzi

Reaction score
My aunts van has a code P1401... Anyone know what this means???

I have searched it and got 2 possibilities, a diff sensor and a purge solenoid

which is it?

thanks.. also I cleared the code with my code reader, and it was back as soon as I started the car..

Check your e-mail

From the 1999 Windstar PC/ED manual:

Ford Specific Acronym Library is at

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=Glossary&gutsid=Acronyms

P1401 - DPF EGR Sensor Circuit High Voltage Detected

The EGR monitor checks the DPF EGR sensor signal to the PCM for high voltage. The test fails when the average voltage to the PCM goes to a voltage greater than the maximum calibrated value.

Possible causes:

DPF EGR circuit open

VREF short to PWR

Damaged DPF EGR sensor

DPFEGR circuit short to PWR

SIG RTN circuit open

Damaged PCM

Diagnostic Aides

A DPF EGR PID reading greater than 4.5 volts with the key ON and engine OFF or running, indicates a hard fault.

In the 99 year, it was common for the EGR valve to have so much build up underneath the valve that ZERO air could pass through. As a result, it would trip a circuit code as the computer simply assumes the EGR valve/system simply was not working.

I would suggest you unbolt the valve to ensure you are not literally plugged solid..

The problem wasn't with buildup under the valve, it was the actual ports in the head that plugged up. There is one port per cylinder for the egr and if they didn't plug completely one would stay clear and then it would cause a misfire code for that cylinder...but that's a different problem.

Latest posts