A/C Clutch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe LaDue

Reaction score
I would actually like to start out by saying this looks like a great site. Everyone seems to really help out here. That is why one of my friends said to check this site out.

Recently, my A/C just shot the bed. I thought it might need a recharge, but that was fine. My buddy and I started to look at the compressor and noticed that the clutch wasn't engaging. We took a multi-tester and checked the plug that goes into the clutch and it isn't getting any power. Naturally I checked the fuses and relays and they were fine. I haven't noticed any, but is there any other switches or sensors that i can check. (other than the actual controls on the dash)? Thanks for the assistance and I look forward to spending many hours reading here.

Joe

Joe, IF the system is low there is a low pressure safety switch that will NOT let power get to the clutch..

The low switch can be bypassed for NO MORE THAN A SECOND to test... Turn on the ac max, and fan on high, IF you use a paper clip and jump out the switch, Located on the dryer under the hood on the passenger side, and the clutch works, then your low on freon.....

Todd Z

Todd,

You are talking about the set of wires that connect to the low pressure filler neck right? I didn't know what that was at first. that's why i didnt' do anything to them.

Joe

Joe, yes. Jump that out, if the compressor comes on then your low on freon, if not, there is more serious problem..

Todd Z

. joe ,like todd said jump the low pressure switch on the accumulator ( big canister on pass. side firewall) if it comes on ,good. it could be low on freon or a bad switch. if its low on freon ,find the leak,and get it fixed..

Well guys, I bought the switch and installed it. Still did not work. Gave it a little of the refrigerant because it was on the low end of filled on the gauge. Didn't do it either. But, I can jump the switch and the clutch engages. Looks like I'm taking it in. It really stinks, but I'm totally lost on what it can still be. Thank you for all your help though.

Joe