A/C Condenser

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Hizzle

Reaction score
Just discovered that my airconditioning condenser is leaking in 4 different spots. I'm mentally tackling the job in my head and it's coming out pretty good so far but I'm not sure how to depressurize the system. What's a good way to do that other than cracking a line with your face turned away and getting ready to run?

I could turn this into a project too if anyone would like. Leave a comment if so.

Well, the way I did it, acidentally that is, is loosen one of the valves on the receiver/dryer. I had to replace that part anyways, so it wasn't a big deal. Then I went to Express Oil and had them pull a vacuum for $10.

i would help,but i'm in houston.i do automotive a/c here. r-134a freon is enviromentaly friendly. (right) if you replace the condensor,you must replace the accumulator(drier),also replace the expansion valve, and add about 2.5 ounces of pag oil.:)any other questions call me.

Thanks G.Grimes! I went ahead and ordered those parts. For learning purposes, why would I need to replace the accumulator and expansion valve with the radiator?

Oh, you might be getting a random call if I run into any trouble during the fix.

the accumulator is actually a filter/drier,it absorbs the moisture out of the system,when you open the system it will absorb exterior moisture. the exp.valve is a 5.00 part that is easily changed. just make sure you reinstall the same way removed.if backwards it will not work properly..:)

D Hizzle,

If you have holes in your Condensor, you don't have any refrigerant gas left in your system, but it's always good to wear goggles or a face mask just in case.

The reason you need to change the Accumulator and expansion valve is because they are usually damaged by the contaminated air entering the AC system. The accumulator contains desicant bags that absorb and moisture in the AC system. When you get a leak the air gets in and contains way more moisture than your system can handle.

You should also flush your whole AC system and add fresh refrigerant oil before you add the new refrigerant back into the system. There is a precise amount of oil and a specific amount of refrigerant that needs t be added. Don't add extra thinking that will cool better. It only increases the compressors head pressure and can damage the system.

Good Luck,

...Rich

I think Greg would agree too, if you can rent a vacuum pump and run at least a 20 minute vacuum on it to clear it out before you add refrigerant._ Ron, A.C. technician too.:D

Latest posts