A/C problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Watts

Reaction score
Lately my A/C has been acting up so any help would be great.

When I let the truck idle with the A/C on for about 10-15 minutes I start to get a "burnt electrical" smell and a couple minutes later it starts blowing hot air. If I'm driving normally, it won't kick out.

It first did this a few weeks ago when I ran into Home Depot and my wife stayed in the truck. As soon as I smelled it, I shut off the truck and popped the hood. I saw what looked like smoke coming from the front of the compressor area. I figured that maybe the A/C clutch was wearing out (happened to me on another car), but wasn't sure. Another mechanic told be that the high pressure side could be building up too much pressure because it wasn't getting cooled down properly and to check to see if there was an auxillary fan that crapped out. I didn't find any aux fans in the engine compartment.

I know I need to check the refrigerant pressure, but since the A/C runs fine while I'm driving I really don't think that's it. I don't know what else to look for as A/C systems are an area I need to learn a lot more about. I guess now is the time. LOL. Getting my hands dirty is not a problem either.

Anyone have any other ideas what to do/look for before I have to take it in? I have an '01 Job2 with 174K miles on it.

Thanks, Doug

Doug,

If the high pressure side is going too high, then the hi limit switch should kick the compressor off.. I have seen bad compressors (physically locked up) smoke a belt, or kill the engine if the AC was switched on because the clutch is usually very tight when engaged.

Since yours was smoking from the front of the compressor, I would suspect the compressor clutch is bad. When idling, it does take more to turn the compressor because the pressure inside is higher, and perhaps it is just bad enough to slip when idling, but work OK when moving and pressure is lower. You might also check your fan clutch to see if it is working ok.

my .02.

Dave

Thanks Dave. The A/C clutch was my first thought. I've checked that the main fan is engaged and it is. Thanks for the help!

Anyone else have any ideas?