A toast no one wants to drink

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to put words to that. The world can never repay the debt owed to men like that. I feel ashamed that I don't think I could live up to being a man like that.

I live on Lake Murray in Lexington SC. There is an island in the middle of the lake. It has several names; Bomb Island, Doolittle Island, Lunch Island. Bomb Island is the most frequently used. It was used by the Doolittle Raiders for target practice in WWII in preparation for the Tokyo Raid. It is now a Purple Martin Sanctuary, only accessible by boat, one of the words largest, and was the first North American purple martin sanctuary.

Here's a link to information on it. www.lakemurray-sc.com/purplemartins.html

We ride out there at least once week to watch the birds flock to the roost. The birds are soon (if not already) leaving to winter in Argentina.

I do not mean to hijack this post; only found it interesting that Jimmy Doolittle came up and I live near an island where his men honed their skills. As a sanctuary, it'll always be protected from development. The Raiders have also had their reunions in nearby Columbia SC a few times at the airport that served as their base.

I live on Lake Murray in Lexington SC. There is an island in the middle of the lake. It has several names; Bomb Island, Doolittle Island, Lunch Island. Bomb Island is the most frequently used. It was used by the Doolittle Raiders for target practice in WWII in preparation for the Tokyo Raid. It is now a Purple Martin Sanctuary, only accessible by boat, one of the words largest, and was the first North American purple martin sanctuary.

We ride out there at least once week to watch the birds flock to the roost. The birds are soon (if not already) leaving to winter in Argentina.

I do not mean to hijack this post; only found it interesting that Jimmy Doolittle came up and I live near an island where his men honed their skills. As a sanctuary, it'll always be protected from development. The Raiders have also had their reunions in nearby Columbia SC a few times at the airport that served as their base.

Hard to put words to that. The world can never repay the debt owed to men like that

Amen, my war was 'NAM. But I have always felt. The men in WW1 and WW2, realy gave it all. They indured so much more.

God bless them all.........

I don't consider Vietnam veterans in any less reverence and certainly appreciate your service. Political and cultural failures of those like myself that never have served don't make the sacrifices of soldiers any less between the wars.

I chose college in 2003 instead of joining the war. While I appreciate where I am in life currently as a result of that choice, I do still hold that regret, political feelings aside.

I agree with Eddie,

Those who fought in WWI and WWII where the generation that fought for freedom and world peace and I have the utmost respect for their sacrifices.

I have always thought that those of us who fought in Vietnam were considered less deserving because of the political atmosphere surrounding the war in Vietnam. It was filled with lies and corruption and if you study the history of Vietnam after WWII, it was never anything that the US should have ever gotten involved in. I admit that I was a naive young kid out of high school who joined the Army thinking I could save the world?? After you have spent some time in Vietnam during the war, you realize that it was so stupid. When the government cannot clearly explain why we were there and why American lives must be lost, it becomes very clear that it will never be a worth the lives that were lost. We won every battle, but still lost the war because winning the war was never the goal?

...Rich

I can distrust the government that went in with poor intentions but that doesn't mean I have any less respect for the soldiers that went in with the best of intentions.

Latest posts