?? about LCD TVs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Im looking to buy either a 32" or 37", 16x9 lcd hdtv. Most likley the 37". I have been told that with that size. the 1080P is not worth the $$ vs the 720p.

I dont have cable. 110mile Roof anttenna, digital broadcast. Standard dvd/vcr player recorder. Im not hard to please. I know what I need for my I/O connections.

I have a small viewing distance. The 37" calculates to be the right size. This will be my first. Except a cheap 9" on computer desk. My 27"crt is going out.

Qaulity for good price is what I need. Living on SSI and some savings, nowdays. Dont want to tap my sheltered annuities this early in the year.

Any sujestions for value and what to look for and avoid, appreciated.

Thanks, Eddie

I recommend either Vizio or Samsung, I've got a 32" Vizio plasma in the bedroom and a 50" Samsung plasma in the living room. Both are 720p and have great picture quality. Everytime I look at TV's in the stores, those two seem to stand out when placed heads up against the others.

Samsung is better than the vizio but I still like the vizio's and think they are are good tv. The samsung will probably cost a little more. Unless your going above 42" then the 1080P is never worth it because when calculated all out the human eye is not capable of telling the difference on that screen size.

might consider a bit larger one if you can afford it, I have a Sharp 52" in the LR, which calculated out as the right size for the viewing distance, etc., but after 18mos, it looks a bit "small" now, but still have no problem viewing. When I brought it home, it looked HUGH, now it looks a little small but I know it's just that I have gotten accustomed to the size. jmo.

My viewing distance is 10 ft. That is why I say 37". Plus that is what I can aford in some models. I still need the answer to 1080p vs 720P in that size. The difference is. $100 to $200 depending on the model.

Im on a tight budget right now. Been watching a 27" crt for 29yrs. I can live with a 37".

I still need the answer to 1080p vs 720P in that size.

Eddie, from my experience thats true. Although I agree Samsung is best ( I have 3), go to a local Best Buy and find the size you want and just look at the pictures. Your eyes will give you the answer.

Eddie,

Regarding 720p vs 1080p

Many will claim that a 1080p is the way to go and that you will be disappointed with 720p. I'd agree with that IF the TV is big enough and your viewing distance close enough. But, for any TV under 40", expecially well under 40" in diameter, viewed more than 6 feet away a 720p TV should be just fine.

Unless you are a true videophile, or are going above 40" and viewing at a close distance (which most videophiles wouldn't do anyway), then 720p should do you well.

My experience/opinion is that 37" is right around the threshold...above 1080p, at or below 720p is fine.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the 1080 with 240 Hz refresh rate. It's the better set. In a few years 720 won't even exist. And since it will hopefully last you at least 10 years you want the best you can get right now.

Ed- Agree with Tom (TJR) regarding rez specs on a 37 inch panel.

1080P is an almost insignificant spec on smaller panels, regardless of type. (Below 50 inches, minimum)

You will see finer pixels viewing at a two foot distance, nothing more.

I have personally always been partial to plasma panels, nothing under 42 inches available, unfortunately.

I have owned a Pioneer Elite Plasma for several years. It is of 720P,1080I native resolution. (Not 1080P) Unbelievable.

Been in this biz long enough to know that specs mean nothing without seeing or hearing, side by side, with your own eyes and ears, with the same source.

(Blu-Ray, DishNet 1080P, ATSC Broadcast, etc.)

May be a bad analogy, the finest home audio amps and preamps are still valve powered, (vacuum tubes) using pre fifties technology. (Thomas Edison days)

They measure horribly on the bench, upwards of a full 5% THD. Sonically they are uncanny, and blow the doors off the finest solid state equipment. SPECS = SQUAT, PERIOD.

Most musicians and recording engineers will agree.

IMO, Analog records still KILL the best sounding Compact Discs, hands down, using the proper equipment. (I use a Linn LP-12 Turntable)

When it comes to LCD or Plasma panel manufacturing, only five exist. National/Panasonic, Samsung, and LG are among them. I believe the remaining two are of China mfg. There are however, huge differences in engines, power supplies, video processing, etc.

IMO, save your money and buy a good "name brand" Blu-Ray player with the savings.

Use the HDMI connection. You will have a difficult time watching conventional DVD again.

Like watching 720P/1080I/1080P HD broadcast TV, and going back to lower rez (4:3 Stretched) broadcast. Almost like going from DVD to VHS, CD to Cassette, etc.

Hard to go back to cheap beer, once you've gotten used to Dom Perignon. LOL.

Finally got our A/V store opened yesterday. Will contact you regarding getting my music archives to you. :supercool:

Enjoy Bro.

TomT makes a good point about considering how long you will have the TV. It's unlikely that any cheap 40" or smaller LCD TV that you buy today will be in service 10 years from now if used with any level of frequency/duration. It's probable that the backlights or the power supply will burn out before then, and when they do it will be cheaper to replace the TV than to fix it; especially since prices of TVs drop each year as sizes go up and up.

I don't agree that you should get 1080p now because 720p is going away. 720p, like 480p, will be here to stay as a standard for years and years...well beyond the life of any TV you purchase today.

Today's 720p screens downgrade 1080p signals for display, so there really is no reason to worry about 720p going anywhere.

The issue is: cost vs image clarity; and at that size TV when viewed from any normal viewing distance you simply can't tell the difference. Sure, if you stand right up next to two 37" TVs, one 1080 and the other 720, you see a difference. But if you step back to normal viewing distances the differences in resolution simply aren't seen.

TJR

Well, I bought a 42" lcd 1080p/60hz. Looked at a buying giude online. My viewing distace measured 12 feet. The guide recomended larger than 42". I had to go for best price.

I bought the Insignia, made by LG from best buy. Two things that got my attention. It comes with a 2yr warranty. Also $680 out the door. Shopping around the net and store sales. To get a better name brand Would have put me over $1000 out the door for a 42". I already had to buy a new cabinet to get ready for the flat screen, $150. My old cabinet for the tv and stereo equipment, was the boxed in type for the old 27"crt.

I hope the tv works out. It had good reviews. It has a better pic in the store than any 42"s @ walmart. Except for the Sonys @ walmart. This whole project has cost me more than my budget allows this month. Might be the first time in many years, that I didnt pay the credit card balance off. Tuff living on disability. Too young to draw my pension.

Now I have to start striping the old cabinet. Stereo componets and dvd/vcr and old tv. "It is a wireing nightmare". Not looking forward to it. The reward will be catching up with technology, with the new wide screen.

Thank all for the input....:supercool:

Fast Eddie,

LG isn't bad. Not as good as Samsung or Toshiba, but still, not bad.

At that size 1080p is probably warranted.

You are right, at 12' you could have gone bigger and purists would recommend probably 50" or 55", but hey, get what works for your budget.

As for Sony LCD, unfortunately they have been getting a bad rep lately. Not sure why...quality I suspect. Seems those Japanese companies are having issues with quality these days. <grin>

What are you going to use for a source? OTA (over the air) HD? Cable HD? Digital Sattelite HD? BluRay?

TJR

A couple bits of info re: TVs. 1ST. Sony was focusing most of their energy in plasma and when LCD sets took off and they were left in the dust. As a result they made a deal with Samsung. Samsung makes all of Sony's LCD screens and in return Sony makes all the tuners and much of the internal parts for Samsung. 2nd. Re: the new 240 hz sets. Many in the entertainment arena feel that 240 hz gives an unnatural look when objects are moving. They claim the 120 hz sets look better when viewing blu-ray action DVD's. My info comes from a friend who is an aficionado and a TV/audio repairman who owns an incredible home theater system. If something is new and better he is the first to own it.

The big difference from the 720 to the 1080 really does not play a huge factor in most TV shows. But, it does play a factor when it comes to Xbox and things to that nature.

I bought a 720 with multiple I/O's and have had great success, but I do not play games on it.

Got mine from HH Gregg and have had no issues. I think I paid 699.00 for it and the same set as a 1080 was like 899..

Thomas, For now over the air digital, I have a 110mile roof antenna. Picks up well in houston area. My existing standard dvd player. In time when Im pension able and better financely. I will probably opt for hd cable or dish. Go blue ray, when this player wears out.

2 Incomes went from 90k (2005) to wifes 40k. Then divorce droped that to my monthly disability. It has been a big change. Having all payed off and buying what you want when you want, now having to budjet. I have small house. The old 27" crt has served well. The picture was slowly getting more lines. I was hoping for next year. Pension will be coming in,6months from now. Also the the price of LED sets would take a drop. Or be so popular, the LCD sets will drop price, in a big way.

Eddie- I believe ATSC "over the air" broadcast is one of the best sources for live TV viewing.

Thing to remember is there is no possible "degradation" of interconnects , cables, or outboard tuner boxes.

In Hawaii 2004, Time Warner only offered ABC affiliate KITV, in high def.

Oceanic did not inform anyone of the HD broadcast being available over the air, on the other major networks here. (CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS)

I inadvertantly tuned my "rabbit ear" antenna to the World Series on the Fox HD channel. Stunning!

Proceeded to connect the optical Toslink audio out from the TV into a 5.1 Denon receiver.

Jaw dropping sonics, like being behind home plate. NASCAR, NFL, NBA, etc. are equally "lifelike".

Try it if you have a Dolby Digital Surround System, you may never use the built in TV speakers, again.