Above Bed Bike Rack

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Cloutier

Reaction score
Well, Heather in O.C.'s project inspired me to finally install a cargo rack above the bed of my Trac. I've been planning on doing this for a while, but never seemed to get around to it. Lately, I've needed to carry more than the two bicycles that my hitch-mount rack can hold. The rack uses off the shelf Thule parts and requires a little drilling.

[Broken External Image]:

Close up:

[Broken External Image]:

And, if you enjoy fishing:

[Broken External Image]:

Nice work! Very clean look. How much trouble was it to make the tie-down replacement plates? Do you have a pattern? If so, would you care to share?

Paul - The plates I used are Thule Artificial Rain Gutters. I drilled a pair of holes 1.75" apart. I'm going to write up the project and include a few more pictures.

[Broken External Image]:

Yay I'm inspiring!!!

Looks awesome. I still haven't gotten around to do the write-up on mine, but when I do there will be plenty of ways for people to choose how they want to do the above-bed rack.

-Heather in OC

Todd,

thats what I wanted to do origonally. But snapped 2 bolts and had to Drill out the holes and put nuts under the ones I snaped.. Didint want to take the chance of snapping more..

Great Job.. Looks great.

Sal - A couple of the tie down bolts were really rusty. It took a bit of working those bolts back and forth to get them out. I've got stainless ones in there now.