AC compressor rapid cycling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blert

1st Gen Owner
2 wheel drive
2001 job 2
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I have searched this but only find that the refrigerant is likely low. But my situation is different than all the others I have found...

It blows ice cold but the compressor cycles on/off at an interval of about two seconds. I'm not a fan of 'chill juice in a can' so I will be taking it to a shop to get that diagnosed. Just wondering if anybody has experienced the same thing and have any tips that I can look into without checking pressures and dealing with refrigerant (will leave that to the professionals). Long-shot, I know, just trying to save a few bucks if I can.

Edit: Found the clutch gap suggestion after the sun went down. Going to check the gap in the morning and see if I need to adjust that.

Last edited:
I don't really know but no one else is responding so try resetting the computer. Unplug the battery for an hour. then re bolt it on.

If it is cycling then clutch gap is good. The cycles should be 45-60sec when outside temp is in the 70’s also the engine has to be at operating temp. If it’s less then that you need to add more Freon.

I don't really know but no one else is responding so try resetting the computer. Unplug the battery for an hour. then re bolt it on.
It has been doing this for a very long time now. I never use the AC but when my wife has to drive it (rare) she does. So, it has been through many a reset. Thanks though.

If it is cycling then clutch gap is good. The cycles should be 45-60sec when outside temp is in the 70’s also the engine has to be at operating temp. If it’s less then that you need to add more Freon.
Figured as much, was just hopeing there might be another thing to try. It doesn't matter how long the truck has been running, it constantly cycles at an ~2 second interval. Cold/hot truck, cold/hot outside, doesn't matter to it. The thing I found strange is that it still blows ice cold. The AC shop I will take it to only charges $112 to evacuate, refill, and diagnose. Guess I best make an appointment.

That’s a decent price

MAX and normal run differently.... Could be a HIGH pressure cut out, clogged orifice tube or just a touch low....

MAX and normal run differently.... Could be a HIGH pressure cut out, clogged orifice tube or just a touch low....
I never bothered to learn, or collect the tools needed to mess with, AC stuff. Personally, I feel it should be left to the professionals that can collect and dispose of the juice properly and I don't want to take the chance of breaking the seal, creating a huge hole in the ozone layer above my house and burning my house down (jk). With that said, I won't add chill juice myself (no matter what the crappy gauge on the can says, it was not the correct ammount) and I assume dealing with a clog means evacuating the system. Can I test the pressure switches without breaking the seal? Got a procedure you like?

The high-pressure switch might be a royal pain to get to because it’s on the compressor but the low pressure switch is the one right on the canister passenger side. With the truck running an AC on you just pull off each one connector and do the low side first. When you jump the low side out the compressor should come on. If you jump the high side out the compressor should go off. But what I mean is actually happening is that it’s building up too much pressure or it’s losing pressure while it’s running on the low side and causing it to cut off. It sounds like the switches are working properly is what I’m getting at.

Alright, I'll just let the shop deal with it then. It's too hot to be out working on the thing anyway. Thank you.

It has been doing this for a very long time now. I never use the AC but when my wife has to drive it (rare) she does. So, it has been through many a reset. Thanks though.

Figured as much, was just hopeing there might be another thing to try. It doesn't matter how long the truck has been running, it constantly cycles at an ~2 second interval. Cold/hot truck, cold/hot outside, doesn't matter to it. The thing I found strange is that it still blows ice cold. The AC shop I will take it to only charges $112 to evacuate, refill, and diagnose. Guess I best make an appointment.
I had my two cars done recently $149.00 each and just talking to him recently he said it's double now because refrigant has doubled in price for the big things they buy. So now when I drive my sport Trac maybe once a month unless it's winter, I use the Walmart R134 $8.88

sorry i missed the post, the clutch gap is easy to do with basic tools, it will slip in and out of cycle if to much play. if its running cold then no need for temp check. let us know the conclusion...

Latest posts