AC sucks!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gavin, you may be low on 134A, Even with my under drive pulley and it being 98 here today and yesterday, I had no problems with idle cooling...

Todd Z

My'03 AC puts out all the cold air you could want. As others have said C/O the freon level and/or the heat temperature control and verify that when set on the coldest setting that the flap to the heat duct is fully closed and not stuck in a partially opened position. It definitely sounds like something is amiss.

Get one of those "probe" type digital thermometers and stick in your a/c vent and watch

the readings. Ford, and many other makes specify a new, factory charged a/c system

should blow out air , usually measured from one of the center dash vents, at a temperature

of between 40 and 48 degrees farienheit with the outside temperature at 78 degrees farienheit.

Depending on whether the a/c compressor is cycled on or off. This reading will vary regularly

every time the compressor cycles. I work at G.M. as a quality inspector checking such

things, and I know this is our spec as well as Ford's, on the temperature at the center vent.

And R-134a does not cool as well as the old R-12 did. (DAMN OZONE LAYER!!!)

:D

I spent the entire winter saying "I wish it was warmer"

Now that it is, I don't seek shelter in a chilled environment... all windows down, arm sticking out... the AC is for when others come in the truck, and I don't want their sweat on my seats...

You probably know this, but the temperature of the air produced by the AC is affected by the difference in the desired temperature setting and the outside air temperature.

Just turning on the AC won't guarantee the coldest air. The inside air temperature must be set lower than the outside air temperature enought to warrant the coldest air.

Drivers used to older generation (or totally manual) AC implementations might miss this point.

Regards!

Hal, your air is blowing too cold. You are probably over pressurized which will decrease the life of your compressor significantly. You may want to have this checked out.

OK, Joe, the climate guy at Louisville Assy here. Let's see if we can get your AC to blow. That's my job anyway.

McGrady, Send me a note and let's get your stuff diagnoised and fixed. Please.

Joe Bray

LAP Climate Engineer, PVT

Hal, your air is blowing too cold. You are probably over pressurized which will decrease the life of your compressor significantly. You may want to have this checked out.

Umm, I don't think he needs to have anything checked out, he is a technician at a Ford Dealership, I am sure he knows what his system should be operating at.

Right on Olaf. Home A/C typically blows 20 deg colder at register than ambient in room. Auto A/C is designed to blow just above freezing; 34 - 36 deg so coil won't freeze over. When auto A/C used R12, if you filled system until low side read 35 psi then the charge was right since R12, at low pressures, has about same psi as temperature. With R34, have to use a table that equates low side psi to low side temp.

I cannot comment on the 07 AC but I live in South Florida and use my AC almost all year round and in my 04 it is very cold.

Ape Out.

Hey Climate, when is Ford going to do something about the AC stench?

Have you ever heard of an evaporator dryer switch or something like that? How much is it and how do we get it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything built in since the 70's have evap/accumulator switches to prevent ice-over of the evaporators. The 07 Sport trak included.

As for stench, Dealers to have a deodorization spray available (better than using lysol). I will see if I can post the part number. I don't know how well the 06/07MY Explorers and Sprot Trac's do for odor in comparison to everyone else in the industry, but I will try and compare. The 06 MY does have improved drainage for the evaporator cores to improve this condition over the 05 and earlier units (the Sport trac's had an older design of HVAC than the 05 Explorer, which is what was improved on for 06 Explorer/07 Sport Trac ). But none of that guarantees that you'll never see an odor problem.

Latest posts