Adaptive Transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Smith

Reaction score
I've read that the tranny is an adaptive transmission. Since I've bought this 04 used, would it be worthwile to disconnect the battery and have it relearn MY driving style? Any thoughts? TIA

I believe it learns perpetually so you don't have to disconnect the battery if you've already been driving it for quite some time.

Nice lookin Trac BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know when I put the stock tune back into mine to take it to the dealer, the transmission shifted like crap. I think it does take a little while for it to re-learn perameters and driving habits. I hate that it's adaptive.

I know, twice now going from routinely spirited driving and then switching to mild acceleration has induced a tranny flare on my 04. Just a coincidence? Enquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, The tranny wants to shift one way, and your driving changed, throws the tranny for a loop, then it has to re learn..

Todd Z

everytime i chean my intake i disconnect the negative. also if I notice my flare acting up I do it as well. Just wauiting to have those shift points adjusted with an xcal2

One of the main problems with the factory programming is the "Adaptive Shift Function". This function allows the PCM to remember scenarios and try to "predict" when these scenarios are going to occur by your actions while driving. While trying to out guess the driver is bad enough, it also causes the truck to shift weird, build heat while slipping clutches waiting for the PCM to decide what its going to do, and causes very unneccessary pressure spikes, thus the "flare" everyone feels.

I shut that off completely. Better to let the PCM base the shifts and such on what the truck/driver is ACTUALLY doing than to try to second guess it.