Adjusted EPC (sorry, long-winded post)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
I took my time and took about an hour and a half to drop the pan and adjust the EPC. I thought I needed a hex driver to turn the EPC when in actuality it needs a torx bit. Luckily I found a T15 torx driver in my toolbox which I didn't know I had (thank you Craftsman). I don't know where my mind was because I read the project on this many times over and it specifically lists the T15. I would've been stuck and forced to put everything back without adjusting the EPC!

So anyway, I gave it about a quarter turn (and no more), and reinstalled the pan with a new gasket and put in one 4qt jug of MerconV. I started the Trac up and let her idle until operating temp while I cleaned up. Then I went through all the gears a few times and then put it in park, and with the engine still running I checked the tranny dipstick and the fluid was just below the hash marks. I added a little bit more MerconV from a 1qt bottle and drove to Mickey-D's to get a large #1 combo with Orange Hi-C, and when I got home I checked the tranny dipstick again and it was in the middle of the hashmark area. Granted this time I was parked on a slight incline, how bad is it to have a little too much tranny fluid in there?

Also, how tight should I make the bolts on the pan? I don't have a torque wrench so I was tightening each one in a star pattern. I didn't want to go too tight and crush the gasket but I know those bolts can still go a few more turns. As it is they're just snug but no leaks so far. Will keep an eye on it.

I'm glad I did this project today. While I was under there I found a tag with the word 'Remanufactured' on it. My service manager told me they replaced it with a 'rebuilt' one but my invoice indicated 'rmfg'. Finding that tag concludes I got the better deal. Also, I noticed there was some leakage at the front of the pan and the pan bolts were surprisingly easy to undo. Some of them I could've unscrewed by hand with some effort!

This project was easy but messy. The worse part was the nauseous feeling I got from being on my back too long. I'm weak-sauce when it comes to motion sickness.

The actual torque is 10 lb-ft, so "snug" with a 3/8" ratchet is probably ok. Crisscross is the correct way. Good Job.:D

Check your answering machine.

Any where in the crosshatched area is fine. Your supposed to check when hot running in park. Sounds like the level is fine ....

I just snug the bolts, IF you want in about a week just lightly snug them again..

Sooooo ??? How does it shift???

Todd Z

TracketPaul, that was you??? Sorry man, I forgot about our old conversation on here! I didn't know that was you calling in as 'blocked ID'. I told ya to leave a message! lol. Will pick up next time.

Shifting feels great Todd, and I just flashed with my XCal again. It's not just mind tricks. Something feels very 'torquey' under there. EPC and Xcal = 1-2 punch?

WFoy, I was supposed to give you a code to see if the dealership used a different calibration contrary to my PCM and its original calibration. Uhm, I couldn't wait. So disregard all that hubbub a while back. I bet I'll feel the 87 perf. tune like never before (not that I'm out to thrash the tranny). So far it feels grrreat!

BTW, what was all that black sludge on the tranny pan magnet?

Last edited by a moderator:
The black stuff is just clutch material from normal wear!!

Now if I wanted to do this and do not have an Xcal what would I gain? Slightly firmer shift points??

Paul, man I'm really sorry. That's my cell phone and the reception at the house sucks. Our conversation would've been dropped, guaranteed so I didn't pick up. I got your number. I'll call you soon. Thanks.

Yeah it is.

On another note, I just crawled under the Trac and tightened up the tranny pan bolts some more. I saw a light film of tranny fluid building up at one end. Fluid level is still good.

Paul, it was nice talkin to ya. I really appreciate your feedback regarding the camber "kit".