"Adren-zilla"?!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel Torres

Reaction score
Hi guys!. This is my first post (and quite long) even though I joined sometime ago. First of all this STA is my first Ford. I also own a 1992 Mits. Monty with 225k in the odo (I did all of them) and my wife's 2006 Toyota Sienna minivan. I've been searching for something different and eye catching but not willing to pay the extra,extra buck's of a new one. So this one came in the classifieds and I went for it.

Fact is so far I love the truck but the more I learn about it the more I fear it also. Please let me start with the engine: it is a 4.6L equipped with a Whipple Supercharger (the one that also has an intercooler). Just a week after having it started stalling. I checked for a pattern but it would stall at any rpm, at idle ,cold, hot, flat terrain, inclines. Having done all the servicing in my Monty (besides the A/T) for 20+ years I was more than willing to handle this one so one day after 5 stalls I had enough and started by moving and lightly tapping all wires, connectors, etc. with a 1/4 inch thick wood pole. When I tapped on the wires leading to the TPS (I guess) the engine almost stalled so I repeated and confirmed. I let the engine to cool down and exposed all those wires only to find out that whomever installed the supercharger kit "forgot" that sensor wires must be soldered, an I am not an auto technician but an experienced electronics technician. So I removed all of the heat shrink tubing, soldered all wires, isolated with 3M tape for testing and so far no more stalls. The bad thing is I know I must trace all other wires that needed to be extended (for the supercharger) to solder all.

Here's where I need some guidance just to start: the speedometer is not working. So far I can tell the wheels are not factory (see pics in my profile, sorry for the low res [cell phone]). The cruise control also doesn't work. The tranny is (I believe) also not factory as it is a 3-speed (or a malfunctioning 4 or 5). It has a deep pan from B&W if I recall correctly.

The truck has a 3in. exhaust from the factory manifolds all the way to the back. It has dual magnaflows and cat in the front. Very important: this truck was supposedly a show truck and a speed truck for a while so the rear end was replaced with a leaf spring type syspension. According to the owner IRS axled were continuously broken.

I've already got the Ford Factory Service manuals (Vol 1 and 2) and the Wiring Manual.

The odo still reads 129 miles (yes 129 not 129k) so that more or less goes with what the owner said about purchase and go direct to the shop for modifications.

I know there's a lot of HP's under the hood by the way if responds whenever you step on the gas pedal. It also came with a SCT X3 Power Flash module but I was unable to get a clue on who the tuner was so I'm basically alone with "Adren-zilla". Based on the great condition of the truck's paint, seating, engine compartment, no leaks of any kind, etc. I'd say it cannot have over 20k and has been properly cared for. Any suggestions besides hiring "Ultra Man"?

Thanks in advance.

I have a good tuner - where are you located - post a clear pix to help people understand -

I had to be very creative with lots of GT500 parts, 54# injectors, special pump, and so much more - including an E85 conversion -

wow interesting truck, sounds like you have quite a project there...

Can you post any pictures of the rear suspension modifications?

That's probably a Blow By Racing kit. Doesn't mean they installed it unless you live near JL. It's probably been tuned by Chris. I think their later kits are whipped style roots blowers from Roush.

Get the numbers off the tran and bring them to a ford dealer. I bet it's a 6r80 that's been thrashed to an inch of its life.

Is the TCM located with the valve body? BMW uses the same ZF platform tran so a lot of people bought built up valve body's from Level 10 Transmissions.

The valve body could be bad. I found mixed reviews regarding their workmanship. Same with Blow By Racing.

doesnt look like a blow by kit which is a Roush Kit with a Sticker that says BlowBy - this looks like a Whipple for sure based on the pulley -

The M90 has a small pulley - this has a Whipple Casing - and intakes on the drivers side - The Whipple kit uses more of the factory stuff like the location of the Alternator, Factory Hoses, and Fuel Rails - This is not an M90 - The Roush Kit uses a Mustang GT intake which forces re-alignment of most of the stuff.

The coolant fill is moved, the battery is moved, don't see a res for the Intercooler - Still cool - My tuner said he could get 500 to the wheels if I flipped to a whipple on the current 105 octane set up - lot's

Those are some seriously good observations!

However, it could still be an M90 and the pully size is irrelevant to the make of the blower. Many many companies make an M90 unit.

Hard to tell from one picture but it does look larger than the M90s I've seen under the hood of every other mustang.

No numbers on anything?

If your speedo is not working do not drive! This could really mess with your tranny. Just fixed issue on my Bronco with wire to VSS and ABS module. With yours being that new I would expect someone cut a wire or something for the speedo.

Hey guys, Im back. Im very sorry for not being her eany sooner, I just travel frequently due to my job. Im not that techy anymore as Ive followed another line for a while (21 years) so please forgive me if I just cannot understand some of your wording and need to ask.

Any way here I go: regarding a tuner, unfortunately Im not in the states, Im in Puerto Rico in the Caribbean. Even though I know some very good speed shops and theres a lot of saavy techs here no good recommendations so far for the SCT X3 type needs.

I must apologize for the real bad quality pics. I promise Ill improve those. Hopefully tomorrow after college Ill be able to take a lot more from all sided and post for you to get some insight.

This is not an M90. I got one of those for a project on the Monty (ya know, people say it cannot be done and I say it can, so far Im winning but Im not hurried with that one for now). If you want a pic just for peeking I dont mind sharing, just let me know

Regarding the Tranny numbers I saw a plate behind the engine on top of the tranny but just couldnt read anything as it was a little tight with the firewall. I tried a small inspection mirror but NoGo. Is there another place where I could get the numbers???

I noticed theres something strange (at least for me) strapped besides the tranny onto the frame. In my A/T ignorance I guess it could be part of the original A/T just to get some electronics working (recall Im guessing). Ill also get a pic of this and post.

This SC is more of an aftercooler than an intercooler as the radiator part is located sideways below the SCs exhaust. The plumbing exits through the left side of the truck and theres a reservoir with all the liquid (water???). According to Whipple they make two kits: the one I explained already and a more basic one without the intercooler. Follow this link and youll see what I mean by reading the HO System part

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1208

The truck has the 105 Octane gas only decal from Whipple in the gas cap.

Regarding driving it Ive been using it like it is as a daily driver for about three months now with no obvious tranny issues besides it kicks like a hells horse when you floor the gas pedal, JA JA!.

Thanks for all your input so far. I commit on lots of good pics very soon. Sunday the latest..

Well guys, even though it is raining heavily here I managed to get some pics into my library. I only need to learn how to get them into the posts.....