After a tune up, please help.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well on sunday i did a tune up on my trac that included spark plugs at .054 gap , wires , recharge k&n air filter, belt with tensioner and idle pulley, oil and filter and of course the infamous vacuum elbow. well after changing all these i started the trac and it was idleing rough was runing right, and the igot three codes P0305, P0306, and P0316. i did a research but i haven't found da solution, went back and check everything and it seems right. can some1 help me out or give me away out before i go to da dealer. thanks

P0305 Cylinder #5 Misfire Detected

P0306 Cylinder #6 Misfire Detected

Check your connections both at the plug and at to coil. Did you use anti-seize on the plug threads & dielectric on the plug tips? There is an outside chance that you over oiled the filter when you did the re-charge. Spray come CRC MAFS cleaner or electrical cleaner on the two wires in the MAFS, just DO NOT touch them.

p.s. I notice that you only live about 45 min. from us, and if you haven't got it resolve by the weekend we can get together if you are open to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id check your plugs and wires... plus check to make sure the gap is correct. All you have to do when installing new plugs after you gap them is to tap them on the block while inserting and the gap gets closed. plus make sure you have cylinder 5 on cylinder 5 and 6 on 6. I dont think over oiling your filter would cause specific misfire on those cylinders. I thinks its your wires, or plugs. You can buy a wire tester from an auto parts store for your spark plug wires... or do it the redneck way.. ;)

Crossed wires or you cracked the insulators on the new plugs,easy to do. You didnt say that you used new wires. If not the old wire may have got damaged during removal..

Most of what others have mention are possible candidates for causing your problem. Bad plugs, bad wire/s, crossed wires, and over-oiling the K&N filter.

My advise for next time is to only do one thing at a time and then test that it worked before going on to the next step. IE: change the plugs, and test drive the vehilce, before changing the plug wires, then test drive it again. If you have a problem after changing your plug wires, you know it was related to the plug wires...you got a bad wire, or you cross wired the plugs....It happens to the best of us from time to time.

The same logic applies to finding and repairing some malfuncion. If you change 10 parts all at once and solve the problem, you never really know what the caused the problem or what fixed it. Fix one thing and test it. If that did not fix the problem, try the next thing, etc until you find out what change actually corrects the problem.

...Rich

The first two codes mentioned abover point directly to cylinder numbers 5 and 6. Those two are right next to each other. Easy to mistake them. The last code is misfire in the first 1000 RPM.

That directly points to the wires.

Swap the two wires and the problem should be resolved.

Tom

thanks i check da right now but i notice that #5 plugs is like wet when i pull it out today and the #6 is full of black stuff. i don't know let me check and i get back at u guys thanks.

The black and wet is the sign of the spark at the wrong time. Wet plug is wet with fuel and the black plug is carbon from unburnt fuel. Put everything back together like it was and swap the wires connect at the coil or the plugs. Problem solved.

Tom

Latest posts