Aftermarket radio has power, all works but no sound.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharbach

Reaction score
Recently bought a 2008 Sport Trac. Factory radio never worked, so replaced with aftermarket radio, using radio harness adapter that plugs right in to factory radio plug. All three fuses associated with radio were checked and all are good now.
I've installed 6 other radios before with no problems this way, but the Sport Trac no radio sound has me baffled. The aftermarket radio has 200Watts, 50watts per channel, and the harness adapter to radio harness was a no brainer.
Looked to see if the speakers had a fuse, but didn't. I can understand maybe TWO speakers bad, but not all four.
What am I missing to gain sound from this aftermarket radio?

The following may sound like a stupid question but you did say the original radio "never worked" (assuming no sound but did have power) and that you bought the truck used...
Did you check to see if there are actually speakers in the doors and that they are connected?

The following may sound like a stupid question but you did say the original radio "never worked" (assuming no sound but did have power) and that you bought the truck used...
Did you check to see if there are actually speakers in the doors and that they are connected?
Blert,
The stock radio never worked. Even after replacing 2 of the 3 blown fuses related to radio. The aftermarket radio has all functions working, except for sound output.
Took truck to car radio shop, the guy slightly rewired the harness to play DVD in either park or drive. He also showed me with his scan tool the good wiring going to each speaker location. He rigged up a speaker to show me output of speaker was good, but ALL FOUR speakers inoperative! Hard to imagine, but that's the case.
Ordered 4 speakers and speaker adapters to replace bad speakers.
As if you say that MAYBE there are no speakers AT ALL, I will soon find out!!
The seller spoke with forked tongue! He said the speakers were GREAT! As long as the radio worked.
I will soon find out if the speakers are even there when I go to change them out.
Radio guy was very thorough and knowledgeable. For rewiring and troubleshooting only set me mack $60.
Money well spent!

Did you supply power to the pin that turn on the sub-woofer ?
I took the truck to a car radio guy, and he slightly rewired my wiring job to provide power to the speakers and to fix a DVD play issue.
He proved and demonstrated that all four speakers are either shot, or non-present.
He rigged his own speaker to show me that in fact there is power going to the speakers now. It's not all that common to have all four speakers go bad, but that is the case, or they are non present.
Just ordered 4 speakers and speaker adapters. They all should arrive tomorrow via Amazon...

You can do a continuity test on the speakers to see if they actually exist/are borken but it requires you have access to the wires. Probably easier to pull the door panels though.

You can do a continuity test on the speakers to see if they actually exist/are borken but it requires you have access to the wires. Probably easier to pull the door panels though.
Well, hopefully tomorrow my new speakers arrive from Amazon.
Will have to pull the door panels to replace them anyway.
The radio install guy used a scanning tool to check for good wiring at each door. All have good wiring.
No sense in testing the old speakers if new ones are going in. I may test the old speakers after they are removed with a 9 volt battery. They should be dead for all intents and purposes.
Not gonna go overboard testing old speakers.
Should be a positive fix.

If the truck was flooded, OR the idiots power washed the interior they will damage all 4 speakers.... Seen it a lot.

If the truck was flooded, OR the idiots power washed the interior they will damage all 4 speakers.... Seen it a lot.
Todd,
You may have something there!
Exposed iron on undercarriage has a bunch of surface rust, but not too bad. I was thinking it was from salted roads up north. But the INTERIOR exposed metal, such as seat structures and exposed metal under dash have that same rusty appearance!
This should not happen on the inside of a vehicle, unless it had sat in standing water!
Good call!
(Planning to paint interior rusty items in the future to protect AND for aesthetic reasons. Will probably go with black.)

All four of my speakers went out recently as well - guy at the car audio place suggested either some sort of short/pulse blew them out or they went out one at a time and I didn't notice because I don't have sound and I no longer play music in the car unless my wife is with me...

RR,
Sounds interesting!
Todd up above had mentioned the truck may have been in a flood. Thay may possibly be, but for water to reach the height of the speakers, especially the front ones, the flood must have been massive. I just know water probably was inside, as the support legs for the seat, and the parking brake mechanisms are too rusty from just being there.

Damn, if it was flooded that sucks. Best check the wiring and clean up all grounds.

Blert,
Hopefully it WASN'T flooded.
There is actually no real sign that it was. The carpets are good, and when I pulled the door panels to change out speakers, there was no water line, or crap inside the door frame.
It IS a 14 year old vehicle, and has been in Florida, especially on the East coast where salt air may have attacked the iron parts on/in the truck.
I am troubleshooting codes for an ABS (C1095) and Traction (OBD2 reader not capable) light which is probably unrelated, and will post questions about those in the near future.

Hope not and its just dead speakers.
The ABS could be the ABS module, seems to be a common failure now on these trucks. ( Bucks to change too) Or you have a hub bearing failing.

Anywhere near Titusville? We can hook up my laptop and see what ForScan has to say.

Hope not and its just dead speakers.
The ABS could be the ABS module, seems to be a common failure now on these trucks. ( Bucks to change too) Or you have a hub bearing failing.
Todd,
YES!
It was all4 speakers that were fried for some reason! Very odd!
Anyway, the new speakers sound great!
Anywhere near Titusville? We can hook up my laptop and see what ForScan has to say.
Todd,
It's about an hour away from Casselberry, but I might as well take the drive.
Recently bought the truck, and want to see how it does on the highway anyway.
I grew up in Melbourne, so I'd be sort of in my old stomping grounds!
What's the best way to contact you outside of this forum?
I'm interested!

Second was for Blert, Not me...

Blert,
I'm interested!

Blert,
I'm interested!
Check your PMs.

Latest posts