ah, anybody know how to paint?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy GreeneII

Reaction score
so I have my latest mod done. Its a coke can size scuff on my rear bumber. gives the truck a distinctive look. @$#%^&@!@!!!!!!!!!!! so anyway, took it past a shop and he wants $275 to shoot the bumper and clear. Sounds a tad high to me considering there's no body work to be done other than preping. just wondering what everyone thought about the price. Actually thinking of taking off the bumper, masking. shooting a few coats with matching paint from pep boys, couple coats of clear and see how bad it is. bonehead move and nobody to blame. Anyway, if you guys have opinions on the cost, and or painting it myself, please advise. thanks,

The real cost killer here is the paint. You can do it yourself with a little work and patience.

Couple of questions for you. What type of paint do you currently have (metallic or non-metallic)? It looks like metallic blue but just want to make sure. Do you have a good air compressor? And am I seeing the plate right that you are in CA?

A good shop is not going to paint just the little scratched area. To do it right you have to repaint the entire bumper. One problem you are going to face in CA is those darn environmental laws. It can make it a little more expensive to purchase the paint from a supply store. You can mail order the stuff pretty reasonable though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich, thanks, any idea where online? Yes, its metallic and I have access to an air compressor but Id have to buy the gun and nozzle. Also, John, Reggie....any San Diego guys and gals, if you know a good shop, can you let me know? I know John had his splash gaurds shot, was thinking of that guy maybe?

I'll ask my dad where he orders his paint from (he is the painter in the family, I just do body work).

First time painting recommend the 2 stage (base coat / clear coat). Your going to need to order the base coat, clear cost, hardner for the paint, and good quality thinner. You will also need to invest in a good quality resperator (get one that is rated for pesticides) this is a good e-bay item or HarbourFreight.

You are looking at a pretty small area to paint so you could get by with a touch up gun. Places to find them are Sears, Harbour Freight, Home Depot, etc.... At these places you will find so so guns. Another great place to find them is in pawn shops. You can usually pick-up a nice Binks or Sharp gun pretty cheap.

Avoid a High Pressure Low Volume gun if you are just starting out. These can be a little more trickey to use.

Feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

I just painted my step bars to match my truck. I live in Ca. and bought 1 pint of base coat silver and a quart of clear. It ran about $75.00 for both. $275 doesn't sound to bad to me considering he would probably remove the bumper and paint the whole thing. It can be kinda hard to spot paint one area with metallic. I would suggest painting the whole bumper.

I assume by wanting to paint the bumpers, you have the newer Sport Trac with the body colored bumpers.

The problem is that base coat, clear coat finishes cannot be spot painted. The entire panel must be painted.

I have recently seen a TV showed a new technique developed by 3M that allows spot painting of base coat, clear coat finishes. I don't know if they are giving out the details of this technique but you might want to check their website or contact someone there for assistance.

....Rich

Teddy, I don't think the small shop I had my guards painted at would be worth the trip. They were courteous people but it took a while for them to get the paint and the finished product was of so-so quality. They looked good when I picked them up, but upon closer inspection I noticed particles and hair on some areas. But they still looked really good and I wasn't about to make a fuss since the guards were gonna get beat up anyway, plus they lowered the price from $100 to $80 for taking them so long. Like I said, it was a small shop and they seemed to have lots of work but I have a feeling my guards weren't on the priority list.

edit: Oh yeah, when I was quoted $100 I was shocked, but the guy told me the paint alone cost him $75. Perhaps the CA laws Rich was talking about was in effect here. I doubt he used all of it...I should've asked for the left over paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott, as much as Id like to take a crack at it, that started to creep in. Not exactly gonna save myself a lot of dough. thanks for all the input guys. Still wondering if anyone knows a good shop in diego or southern cal.

""Scott, as much as Id like to take a crack at it, that started to creep in. Not exactly gonna save myself a lot of dough. ""

Think about it, You;re gonna have to spend 300 either way, i would go with getting the gun and stuff to do it yourself, then in the end you have a painted bumper plus a gun and stuff to do paint.. paint your tailgate handle the next weekend. mirrors the next.. spray a buddy's new spoiler for a few bucks, get better, etc.. just a thought and i'm not sure if you can get away with only spending 300 because i have not looked into pricing, but maybe it is worth a look..

JM

Teddy, get 4-5 estimates, do a little research on each place, then go with one you like the best. Or try to ignore the scuff.

But you have spent a lot of time and effort so far on a beautiful brand new vehicle, don't start with shortcuts now.

You'll be happier in the long run with no regrets.

:D

I don't believe anyone mentioned this. When the bumper is repainted the shop may be doing some blending onto the tailgate. I believe the price sounds fair in todays world. My husband does custom paint. I have a good idea about his costs. I would suggest going to a local paint supplier. Our supplier gives refrences quite often. Your supplier can give you an idea of any painters to avoid and which ones you can trust. Good Luck....

Latest posts