Air Bag help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Reese

Reaction score
I had my front drivers side tire blow out and my air bags went off. I was just wondering if anyone knows about the airbag system. I am prolly just going to remove them and try and figure out how to reset the system. Any advice or comments would be helpful.

Also having trouble getting my spare tire, it seems like it might be stuck on to something because when I try to lower it all I hear is squeaking and don't feel any resistance. Anyone experience anything like this that can tell me what the problem is? Thanks

as for the airbag,

It sounds like the wire was damaged or the sensor in the front saw something....

You can replace the bags, I also think the airbag module needs to be replaced too once the system is set off....

As for the spare, make sure your using the right end of the bar and turning it the correct way...

The spare tire could be also stuck on something under there..

Todd Z

Ouch that sucks. The airbags arent cheap. But the module, im almost certain, is resetable. I would just find out who does it, and pay them to do it. It wont cost you a lot, but this way you will know that it was reset correctly

do I have to replace them? Can I just leave them out? Is there a way to separate the horn and cover from the bag?

Last edited by a moderator:
do I have to replace them? Can I just leave them out? Is there a way to separate the horn and cover from the bag?

If you do figure out a way, make sure you put decals all over the inside that says "airbags removed", because if you sell it with all the safety devices disabled, you may end up in some sort of liability suit if the future owner is in an accident or if you have a passenger in there and have an accident and they are injured.

Why not just call the insurance com[any and tell them the tire blew, set the airbags off, and you need to have it fixed? Pay the deductable and be done. Your life is worth much more than whatever the deductable is, and trust me, you are not invincible.

Ok here is an update haha. Well I get under there there and discovered my step bar front bracket was bent and the top bold was pulled out for the most part, so I just took the step bar off (I never used it anyway) [ Plus I want to get stainless steel shiny ones down the line :) ] I have my spare tire sitting pretty, with my rim that is grinded down a little around the edges not sure if its salvageable. I might just check the local salvage yards for a replacement. Some of the clodding has scrapes on it and my front bumper has a nice crack in it. I took it for a drive and noticed that when I take right turns my spare is rubbing on the back of my wheel well. My guess is an arm got bent slightly. My airbags and modual are un hooked and out. When I reattached my battery the horn was still going off so I just pulled the relay for the horn out (I never used it anyway haha). So basically I got it somewhat drivable for the time being. I will be working to save up to replace the airbags down the line and my rim and some of the plastic messed up underneath I will be looking for at salvage yards. I think I can fix it for around $250 since I'm doing the work myself. Any comments and tips would be nice. Please keep in mind I am a struggling college student with my insurance deductible at $500 so keep the negative comments to a minimum.