Air Bag light is on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - I would first like to say Happy Holidays to all. I have found this web site to be very helpful in saving me lots of money by doing it myself with the help of all of you.

I have a 04 ST and about a week ago my air bag light came on. The code is 42 - meaning it flashes 4 times then a pause then 2 more flashes. After 3 or 4 times of this the light stays on solid.

Could someone help me out and start me in the right direction to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Light Flashout Code 42 is for the driver's air bag circuit. The most common problem in the clock spring or sliding contact as Ford sometimes calls it, in behind the steering wheel but it could also be the bag itself, the wiring in between the bad and the RCM ( Retsraint Control Module) or the RCM itself.

The manual lists a bunch of pinpoint tests which require some caution and knowhow so you dont accidently set off the airbag while you're testing.

I would take a look at the connections under the steering column. If they are all ok you could maybe replace the clockspring.

Todd Z

Sometimes the LFC's change year to year. Makes it really easy to keep up .... NOT! This is from my online FOMOCO resource.

SECTION 501-20B: Supplemental Restraint System 2004 Explorer Sport Trac Workshop Manual

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING Procedure revision date: 06/24/2003

The 2004 manual lists LFC42 as:

B2296 42 Restraint System Impact Sensor Status (Front Impact Severity Sensor Circuit Fault) Go To Pinpoint Test J.

Lippy, I've emailed you the page from the manual so you can read it and decide how to proceed.

(Removed erroneous info)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping that the 42 code would be more specific as to the exact problem. Steve M - I did not think my 04 ST has side impact air bags, so I'm not sure why that section you sent me would help.

Mine is an '02 so it's different.

The '03 year model Code 42 is different still from the '04. The '03 specifies safety canopy.

B2294 24 Restraint System Safety Canopy Module Status (Driver Side Safety Canopy Circuit Fault)

The '01 & '02 says B2441 42 16 Driver Side Impact Sensor Mounting Fault

The '04 says Impact Severity Sensor. The '04 wiring diagram indicates the side impact sensors are on canopy equipped models and a front impact sensor on all models (mounted on the radiator support).

(Removed erroneous info)

I just popped off the sensor located on the radiator support. Now my question is this. I started the engine and got the same code with the connection to the front sensor off. So if this seems to be the problem RIGHT? If the sensor is fine then by me unplugging it I would think I would get a different code. MAYBE?? ---- I was going to try to get a replacement tomorrow.

The 2004 manual lists LFC42 as:

B2296 42 Restraint System Impact Sensor Status (Front Impact Severity Sensor Circuit Fault) Go To Pinpoint Test J.

NO ................

Obviously I sent you the wrong diagnosis sheet.

Blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. Sorry!

Check it for corrosion and try it again. FWIW the manual recommends depowering the system before disconnecting/reconnecting the sensors.

It's safety stuff to prevent accidental deployment of the bags. Just pull as fuse.

At the central junction box (CJB), located on the LH end of the instrument panel, open the kick panel cover and remove the restraints control module (RCM) fuse F2.10 (10A) from the CJB.

I emailed you the procedures. ....... the correct info this time! :(

I had the same code on my 04. It ended up being the sensor that had leaked and when the pins coroted it cracke and failed. Bought one at for foraround $90. took all but 10 minutes to chage. I just disconnected the battery hit the brakes or turned the lights on to drain any charge that could have been left in some mysterious capacitance kind of way. Replaced it, plugged the battery back in and reprogramed the radio.

BTW it's the sensor on the radiator frame in that awkward spot that makes you swear when the screw that holds it falls in between the radiator and the radiator frame.....you get the picture

Denis

thanks to all. today i froze my ass off at the junk yard and found a replacement sensor. Only one ST in the entire lot and it looks like it was torched, but the sensor was fine. Took me and my son about 5 minute to replace. Started car up and no air bag light. Saved me about $200 bucks.

Thanks

Latest posts