air bags or Roadmaster Active Suspension

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you mean settles.

Since it's for load handling, I'd say airbags. Airbags have a much higher load capacity then springs of similar size, so you would be able to lift the rear up and regain some suspension movement, at the cost of ride harshness of course.

The airbags require more work to install, more equipment, and more upkeep then helper springs, but that's the way I'd go with load control. Either would work just fine, but with the 'bags, you'd also be able to in effect, 'turn them off' with no load, whereas you can't with the Roadmaster.

If you tow alot, I'd got with the helper springs.

Tom Schindler (Cayman) has bagged his rear, and I have the Roadmaster Active Suspension. So I can give you my point of view which is that the RAS is a move flexable version of a helper spring, and I would recommend it for your application. You'll have to wait 'till next week to get Cayman's input as he is in Hawaii on his honeymoon.

I had the RAS of about 4 1/2 years on my '01 ST and I thought it was one of th ebest things I did to it. Helped alot with hauling heavy stuff in the bed and the little bit of towing I did. I was very pleased with it for sure.