Air Fitting Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to call it so I'm trying to figure that out so I can get one..

What I need is a one way automatic air valve. I need to take air from my compressor run it into this valve and then into my keg. Right now I have to be quick and disconnect the coupler on the keg to not let all the air come back out.

So what is it called that I am looking for? I know I could get a ball valve, but I'd prefer to just hit it with the air and disconnect and then recharge the pressure when necessary.

Reason for this project is I plan to use one of my several corny kegs (home brew beer) on camping trips for a water supply. I've got a party tap so dispense it so it's a lot easier than muscling the 5 gallon water jug around to fill a cup or whatever..

The keg isn't threaded it has a ball lock attachment that I already have, so I was hoping to find a check valve to install in the 1/4 ID (1/2 OD) hose by using a barb or something similar. Now that I know it's just called a check valve I can get all my fittings figured out, thanks.

looks like maybe this would work?

Last edited by a moderator:
JD, Make sure it has some sort of soft seat. O-ring or such. so it will haold the pressure charge. Possibly one that can be disasebled, cleaned and re-oringed.

Just a sujestion. Saves $$ in the long run..

How about a simple air hose quick-disconnect with the check valve mounted to the keg and the nipple on the hose?

...Rich

Thanks guys I'm going to hit Home Depot and maybe Ace today and see if I can cobble something together. My dad gave me the idea of using a schrader valve which would be great because I plan to pressurize it using my tire compressor.

A Schrader valve is a great idea if you can get something that fits, or you can cobble something together

...Rich

Here is what I found at Ace. 1/4" barb screwed into what the packaging called a tank valve. It is basically a tire valve stem inside brass fittings. The grey connector is what attaches to my corny keg. I haven't tested it yet (waiting for kids to go to bed) but I don't see any reason this won't work. Cost was approx $6.

[Broken External Image]:

It seems to work well with my testing today. I could only charge it to 60psi because anything past that my tap would leak. 2 60psi charges emptied the 5 gallons of water though. Overall I'm happy, should be nice for camping trips and I'll be testing that this weekend :banana:

Latest posts