Air horns?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith 2

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone here has installed air horns on their Trac, especially if you have photos in your library showing the details. By air horns I mean proper metal horns with compressor, tank and solenoid valve, not those kits you see in auto parts stores that have a soda-can-sized 12V pump pushing 5 psi through a set of tiny plastic party horns :)

I'm in the process of installing air horns right now, and I'm just curious as to how others have managed it. Today I did the dash wiring. I cut the YE/LG horn switch (-) wire from the steering wheel button and ran it to an SPDT "City/Highway" A/B toggle switch, so that I can go between the air horns and stock electric horns as is often done on RVs. I left the keyless entry module connected directly to the stock horn relay--not affected by the position of the A/B switch--so that locking the doors with the key fob does not blow the air horns! :) The "highway" terminal of the new switch goes to the coil of a 30A auto relay which in turn controls power to a 1/2" Parker 7321 solenoid air valve. Now I'm waiting on my Westin Outback crossbars to arrive, since the horns are going on the roof.

We installed a nice set-up at my old shop on my old boss' ST. I had to mount the 5 Gallon tank and motor under the drivers seat area underneath the truck. Then the only place for the triple horn was in the bed bolted to the back. He even has a hardcover toneau and it's still crazy loud.

Looks like you are doing a great job so far. You should write up a project for sure.

I'll definitely follow up with the install. I need to check a couple of parts stores to find the right swtiches. I already have my horns, and they are louder and more fearsome than anything for sale at hornblasters.com ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts