ALL THE PC PRO Networking wireless QUESTION

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary L

Reaction score
I just bought a sony wireless laptop,and i'm using a cable modem. What accessories do i need to get in order to network it to my desk top. And is it a fairly easy to do ,and if so how do i go about doing it:unsure:

Yeah, buy a wireless router, make sure it has WAP or WAP2 support, I just bought a US Robotics Maxg and the nice feature is that it's also a wireless print server, so I can use the printer wirelessly, cool!

And it has a rebate going on right now:

Be sure that the router you buy is secured when you install it or others can tap of your router for free, you may try and see if it will link up with a server from yur neighbors, if they didnt secure it, you can use theirs.

Wireless 4-port routers are available from compaines like LinkSys, NetGear, D-Link, 3-Com, etc. They typically cost about $50. I will email you a beginners guide to setting up a wireless network at home just as soon as I can locate where I filed it. :rolleyes:

PS: I found the article and sent you an email.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a warning ... Duece's suggestion to "see if it will link up with a server from yur neighbors, if they didn't secure it, you can use theirs" is illegal. Do as he first suggested, obtain a wireless router and be sure to secure it by doing the following:

1.) Change the SSID (use special characters)

2.) Setup encryption (Use 128 bit WEP at the very least ... WPA or WPA2 is better...if you go with WEP, be sure to rotate your WEP keys on a regular basis.)

3.) Disable broadcast of the SSID

4.) Change the admin password

5.) Limit the power on the WAP to just what is needed to cover the area in which you intend to use the laptop. Locate the WAP away from windows.

6.) Change the IP of the WAP ... hackers know the default IPs

It is also good practice to have firewalls in place on all of your PCs that are on the network. I run Norton's. When you configure the trusted IPs in Norton's, do not allow a range. If someone gets on your network and you have DHCP turned on, they will receive an IP that will be trusted. I have Norton's on all of my PCs set to only trust individual IPs that I know are on the network. You will also have to trust the IP of your wireless router or you will not be able to get to the internet. I have a D-Link router and I really like it. I have it set up where it will not allow my son's laptop on the internet from 900pm to 7am. I have also set up printer sharing across my home network, so we can print wirelessly.

Dunc